Photo album added - How to make a still from a copper boiler.

  • lapsnuit
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 3, 2002
      Hi all,

      Please feel free to have a look at the new photo album about
      making a still from a old boiler.

      I used only solder that is made of tin/silver (I do not know the
      english word for tin, sorry) AKA drinking water quality.
      The melting point is around 175 Celcius.

      After cleaning up the inside with a metal brush in a drilling machine
      I manually spot heated the inside with a souder burner to recreate
      the patina ( used copper, but not green oxided) and did several
      waterruns to make sure there's no leakage on the soudering.

      To get rid of the leackage between helmet and bottom I use TESA
      aluminium tape, 1st 1 round with THE OUTSIDE on the kettle then 2
      round over this to keep it on it's place.

      Tesa is a product of beiersdorf (www etc)
      The manufacturer told that it safe to use up to 150 celsius.

      Cheers.
    • Campbell Jones
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 8, 2002

        Hi lapsnuit and all

        Is the Tesa ali. tape you mention be what we call Duct tape in the UK ? The kind used for sealing the joints on air ducting ?

        Cheers

        Campbell

          lapsnuit <lapsnuit@...> wrote:

        Hi all,

        Please feel free to have a look at the new photo album about
        making a still from a old boiler.

        I used only solder that is made of tin/silver (I do not know the
        english word for tin, sorry) AKA drinking water quality.
        The melting point is around 175 Celcius.

        After cleaning up the inside with a metal brush in a drilling machine
        I manually spot heated the inside with a souder burner to recreate
        the patina ( used copper, but not green oxided) and did several
        waterruns to make sure there's no leakage on the soudering.

        To get rid of the leackage between helmet and bottom I use TESA
        aluminium tape, 1st 1 round with THE OUTSIDE on the kettle then 2
        round over this to keep it on it's place.

        Tesa is a product of beiersdorf (www etc)
        The manufacturer told that it safe to use up to 150 celsius.

        Cheers.

        Sign up to watch the FIFA World Cup video highlights from your desk!

        http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/fc/en