Re: [new_distillers] Nubie needs much advice...

  • J. Ganble
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 3, 2002
      Thanks Billy....I figured out the cleaning of the copper after thinking abt it for a while...I then made a paste of flour,vinegar and salt...applied it to every external surface of the still and rinsed into a bucket,then poured the liquid thru the inside and rinsed well...unbelieveable the difference!!!
      Ran the distillate thru (mixed with water)again last nite...used 2 copper scrubs in the bottom and appx 1 ft of glass marbles...got more consistent temps this time and the bottom temp did rise first etc......instead of a consistent flow,I got intermittant 'squirts' ,usually preceded by a 'wigglin' motion from the still...must have had the heat too high like you mentioned...anyway,the distillate last mnite amounted to appx 4-eight oz jars which left me with 3 after tossing the first and last 4 oz....dont have any activated carbon so I didnt filter it....took appx 3 oz,added 4 oz distilled water and one Ice cube....mmmmm,it was delicious...got one heck of a buz off this amount....I am interested in your modification as I am sure my still needs something to make it more easily controlled....thanks.