Re: 1st run of the still!

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 12, 2011

      > I've only ever filtered one batch of neutral, so I'm sure no expert.
      > I've got a big aluminum pitcher with a needle-valve output on the
      > bottom. I drop some wet coffee filters over the pitcher bottom and fill
      > with carbon (not-very-well-rinsed carbons as it turned out). I fille the
      > pitcher with neutral, wait an hour or two, and then set the needle-valve
      > to drip out at a slow rate.
      >
      > Once I got the finest carbon out of my (gray) vodka, it was very good.
      >
      > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

      Just a quick note re the carbon. Another site and poster has brought to our attention that there are varying degrees of carbon for various jobs. The poster was a professional distiller so I assume he's to be believed. I'm guessing our hobby suppliers don't even stock the right stuff (fishtank filter stuff probably).

      Anyways, the pro distiller gave a link to where to get correct carbon, so here 'tis...
      http://www.norit-ac.com/english/products.asp

      Use the food filter
      Select alchohol(malt) or Rum or Vodka
      go from there

      There's different carbons for different beverages and also for removal of colour or smell/taste.

      Cost & pack size etc. you'll have to contact the company (facility on the site).