RE: [new_distillers] SS Scrubbers

  • Robert N
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 3, 2002

      As the Doctor states in a post below this one most if not all Stainless Steel is magnetic to some degree. So a good rule of thumb is purchase one or two take them home boil them up, toss it outside in the weather for a couple of days! If they show any signs of rust, look for a better brand!

      3 for a UK pound sounds about what I paid for the small ones here in Australia. (1$au each)

      1$au = ~ 0.36pence

      Yours' in Spirit!

      Robert

      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 3, 2008
        We have been asked many time here about Copper scrubbers and how to
        check the cheap ones with a magnet to make sure that they are not
        painted Steel. The other day in Lowes I ran across some Stainless
        Steel Scrubbers in the grill section and picked up a couple. They are
        also Magnetic, Slightly. However I know from years of working with
        metals and Stainless even 316 that has been worked, for instance made
        into a spring, will be slightly magnetic. I like these because they
        are not flimsy like copper scrubbers although I do plan on putting a
        couple of the copper ones in the column as well.
        Also, Is there anyone using the Brewhaus Structured packing and is
        there any advantage with it over Plain old scrubbers? If it packs
        easier or is easier to clean, or is more efficient Then I would
        consider that.

        Mason
      • Kim
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 3, 2008

          > We have been asked many time here about Copper scrubbers and how to
          > check the cheap ones with a magnet to make sure that they are not
          > painted Steel. The other day in Lowes I ran across some Stainless
          > Steel Scrubbers in the grill section and picked up a couple. They are
          > also Magnetic, Slightly. However I know from years of working with
          > metals and Stainless even 316 that has been worked, for instance made
          > into a spring, will be slightly magnetic. I like these because they
          > are not flimsy like copper scrubbers although I do plan on putting a
          > couple of the copper ones in the column as well.
          > Also, Is there anyone using the Brewhaus Structured packing and is
          > there any advantage with it over Plain old scrubbers? If it packs
          > easier or is easier to clean, or is more efficient Then I would
          > consider that.
          >
          > Mason

          SS doesn't give as nice flavor as copper..... try Brawny copper
          scrubbers ... they are pure copper.... take them apart and roll them
          up to stuff in the column...

          Kim
        • castillo.alex2008
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 3, 2008
            Hey Mason

            I use the copper from Brewhaus. Easy to roll, cut and clean. As you
            may know, provides a big reflux surface at the time that copper
            eliminates traces of sulfur from the yeast´s metabolism. I use it only
            for spirits run and after 3 or 4 times you may clean it with vinegar
            which will make them look as a brand new shiny penny. Just leave them
            in the vinegar a couple of hours and rinse it with plenty water, but
            as some has said before this darkening of the copper may be beneficial
            for the flavor.

            Hope it helps.

            Alex

            > We have been asked many time here about Copper scrubbers and how to
            > check the cheap ones with a magnet to make sure that they are not
            > painted Steel. The other day in Lowes I ran across some Stainless
            > Steel Scrubbers in the grill section and picked up a couple. They are
            > also Magnetic, Slightly. However I know from years of working with
            > metals and Stainless even 316 that has been worked, for instance made
            > into a spring, will be slightly magnetic. I like these because they
            > are not flimsy like copper scrubbers although I do plan on putting a
            > couple of the copper ones in the column as well.
            > Also, Is there anyone using the Brewhaus Structured packing and is
            > there any advantage with it over Plain old scrubbers? If it packs
            > easier or is easier to clean, or is more efficient Then I would
            > consider that.
            >
            > Mason

          • Rob Macrobert
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 4, 2008
              I've been using the Brewhaus packing for a while, and would only go back to standard scrubbers as a last resort.
              It packs _MUCH_ better and easier, and with it being a finer  weave, IMO it works much better.

              And most important of all, you know exactly what you are getting for your money.

              Cheers,

              --
              Be Yourself @ mail.com!
              Choose From 200+ Email Addresses
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 13, 2008
                Just wanted to thank everyone for replying on and off list. Wound up
                going with the Brewhaus stuff. Even though my Still column is all
                copper I felt it would still benifit from copper packing.

                Mason