black copper mesh

  • David Eastham
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 2, 2011
      Hi

      My copper mesh has been black for some time, though my spirit is nice and clean. I've done a vinegar distillation but it is still black. Would running hot citric solution through it clear it up? I've only ever distilled washes made from turbo yeasts.

      Cheers
      Dave E
    • Derek Hamlet
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 2, 2011
        At 07:57 AM 6/2/2011, you wrote:

        >Hi
        >
        >My copper mesh has been black for some time, though my spirit is
        >nice and clean. I've done a vinegar distillation but it is still
        >black. Would running hot citric solution through it clear it up?
        >I've only ever distilled washes made from turbo yeasts.

        I've never done a vinegar distillation. I tend to just take out the
        mesh, soak it in a bucket of cheap vinegar, rinse it, soak it again,
        rinse it then start distilling. Same for my 2" column although I
        have to use a brush with an extension to do some scrubbing.

        Derek
        "And you know that she's half crazy
        But that's why you want to be there"
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 2, 2011
          Hi Dav,

          I have found copper to clean up very will with a 20% vinegar solution
          and some salt boiled for about 15 minutes - should work.

          JB. aka Waldo.

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "David Eastham" <planetgong0@...>