Re: Still fermenting

  • ggenovezos
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2011
      Thanks Zimurgy Bob,

      Digging into waldo's Jem right now. since I don't have any energy drink on hand right now any other additive that might help?

      I've seen other posts that have things like epsom salts or tomato paste. Those I have on hand...

      > The first thing that occurs to me is that the only nutrients the yeast
      > get out of that recipe is in the corn flakes. For a wash that must have
      > started around 1.100, that's not enough nutrients for spectacular
      > fermentation, if that's really what you want. In all seriousness
      > (seriosity?), you might pull a Waldo, and tip the Red Bull (or similar
      > drink) can into that ferment.
      >
      > Search for Waldo's JEM wash to find recommended amount of energy drink.
      >
      > Also, depending on what the temperature is now, you might want to raise
      > the fermentation temp over 80F. Where I live, ferments are always cool
      > and slow, so I don't sweat it.
      >
      > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller
      >
      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "ggenovezos" <ggenovez@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi all,
      > >
      > > I'm using the following recipe for my first try
      > > http://www.distillique.co.za/documents/corn_flake_whiskey.html
      > >
      > > Ingredients:
      > >
      > > o 16 ltr water,
      > > o 4kg white sugar
      > > o 700g corn flakes
      > > o 20g distillers yeast
      > > o 1 lemon
      > >
      > > I'm on the 3rd week and she's still fermenting like made. 1 buble
      > through the airlock every 3 seconds... I'm using champagne yeast.
      > >
      > > Any way to speed this up?

    • tgfoitwoods
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 3, 2011
        While tomato paste is a standard part of the yeast nutrient, you'll need
        some nitrogen to really speed that ferment up.
        DAP (di-ammonium phosphate) or Miracle Gro.