Still fermenting

  • ggenovezos
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2011
      Hi all,

      I'm using the following recipe for my first try
      http://www.distillique.co.za/documents/corn_flake_whiskey.html

      Ingredients:

      o 16 ltr water,
      o 4kg white sugar
      o 700g corn flakes
      o 20g distillers yeast
      o 1 lemon

      I'm on the 3rd week and she's still fermenting like made. 1 buble through the airlock every 3 seconds... I'm using champagne yeast.

      Any way to speed this up?
    • tgfoitwoods
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 2011
        The first thing that occurs to me is that the only nutrients the yeast
        get out of that recipe is in the corn flakes. For a wash that must have
        started around 1.100, that's not enough nutrients for spectacular
        fermentation, if that's really what you want. In all seriousness
        (seriosity?), you might pull a Waldo, and tip the Red Bull (or similar
        drink) can into that ferment.

        Search for Waldo's JEM wash to find recommended amount of energy drink.

        Also, depending on what the temperature is now, you might want to raise
        the fermentation temp over 80F. Where I live, ferments are always cool
        and slow, so I don't sweat it.

        Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "ggenovezos" <ggenovez@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi all,
        >
        > I'm using the following recipe for my first try
        > http://www.distillique.co.za/documents/corn_flake_whiskey.html
        >
        > Ingredients:
        >
        > o 16 ltr water,
        > o 4kg white sugar
        > o 700g corn flakes
        > o 20g distillers yeast
        > o 1 lemon
        >
        > I'm on the 3rd week and she's still fermenting like made. 1 buble
        through the airlock every 3 seconds... I'm using champagne yeast.

        > Any way to speed this up?

      • ggenovezos
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 1, 2011
          Thanks Zimurgy Bob,

          Digging into waldo's Jem right now. since I don't have any energy drink on hand right now any other additive that might help?

          I've seen other posts that have things like epsom salts or tomato paste. Those I have on hand...

          > The first thing that occurs to me is that the only nutrients the yeast
          > get out of that recipe is in the corn flakes. For a wash that must have
          > started around 1.100, that's not enough nutrients for spectacular
          > fermentation, if that's really what you want. In all seriousness
          > (seriosity?), you might pull a Waldo, and tip the Red Bull (or similar
          > drink) can into that ferment.
          >
          > Search for Waldo's JEM wash to find recommended amount of energy drink.
          >
          > Also, depending on what the temperature is now, you might want to raise
          > the fermentation temp over 80F. Where I live, ferments are always cool
          > and slow, so I don't sweat it.
          >
          > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller
          >
          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "ggenovezos" <ggenovez@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi all,
          > >
          > > I'm using the following recipe for my first try
          > > http://www.distillique.co.za/documents/corn_flake_whiskey.html
          > >
          > > Ingredients:
          > >
          > > o 16 ltr water,
          > > o 4kg white sugar
          > > o 700g corn flakes
          > > o 20g distillers yeast
          > > o 1 lemon
          > >
          > > I'm on the 3rd week and she's still fermenting like made. 1 buble
          > through the airlock every 3 seconds... I'm using champagne yeast.
          > >
          > > Any way to speed this up?

        • tgfoitwoods
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 3, 2011
            While tomato paste is a standard part of the yeast nutrient, you'll need
            some nitrogen to really speed that ferment up.
            DAP (di-ammonium phosphate) or Miracle Gro.