Re: asian pear eau de vie

    Message 1 of 6 , May 19, 2011
      James,

      Please let us know how much of each - heads, hearts and tails you have
      collected. Usually brandies are only distilled once, so their isnt much
      you can do with the heads and tails unless you have more to distill, or
      you put everything together again, dilute to about 25% and redistill.
      This may lose some flavors, but if you collect in smaller sizes - say
      about 200-300 ml. / 1 to 1/2 cups in seperate containers, you can then
      make a better decision on what to keep. Another altenative is to just
      keep the hearts and redistill the heads and tails and get as much out as
      you can.

      Definitely do not put it on charcoal since this will cause more lose of
      flavors - aging on toasted (not charred) oak is the way to go.

      JB. aka Waldo.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "james" <jdryopter@...> wrote:

      > I just finished distilling about 20 gallons of asian pear wine that I
      had fermented last fall. I've heard that fruit high in pectin creates
      more methanol than other starting materials. I have each run divided
      into heads, hearts and tails and plan on combining them all and running
      a sprits run to combine all the batches and clean it up. I did a sort of
      stripping run but wanted to practice making cuts and getting a feel for
      the profile of the juice so I took the extra time.

      > I didn't notice very much of the nasty stuff at the start (low temps)
      but got quite a bit of fusel oils once I got much over 91 C and stopped
      once I hit 93. The taste is good but the texture became very slick and
      viscous.

      > Any suggestions on assessing where to make the cuts when I do the
      spirit run? I want to keep plenty of flavor but do not want a booming
      hangover. Should I let it sit on charcoal for a while?