Re: [new_distillers] Re: Worm Height?

  • JDtje
    Message 1 of 7 , May 17 10:38 PM
      remember that alcohol boils with less heat then water,
      when you distill water you bucket will heat up much faster then when running water.
      Having read al the oldtimer suggestions on wormcoils in buckets.

      it comes to a equetion like;
      The bucket should be around 3 times bigger then the size of the still and run a coil of about 7 windings with the top winding not in the water, to prevent any weird happenings. like gurgeling noises and sudden stop and go's
      This would be enough so you dont have to have running water.

      the steam will condens and trickle down now it should come out in a minute ore 2~10
      But try it and run it slow see what happens. make shure all the windings go downwards and not go flat ore up. there is where the product hangs and starts puffing a coil.

      Greetz

      JD

      Message 2 of 7 , May 17 11:43 PM
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "JDtje" <jeandenis308@...> wrote:

        Thanks Greetz, I didn't check to see if the coils are all going down. I'll check for that first thing in the morning. Thanks for the help.

        Andy

      • yahpinot
        Message 3 of 7 , May 19 6:06 PM
          "andyrud3" <andyrud@...> wrote:

          > Hi Everyone from another new guy,
          >
          > I built my pot still and trying to run a water test through it. It is a 6.5 gallon boiler. I am heating it with a 1500 watt hot plate. I put one gallon of water in it and it took about 40 minutes to get it to 212F. My question is should my copper worm be below the still or level with it? What do you guys think? When I put cold water around the worm it stops producing water and nothing comes out of the worm. If I remove the cord water from around the worm it starts squirting water for a while and then steam. What's going on?

          Looking at your pictures, the worm seems to go up just before entering the bucket. Also look inside the bucket. It is for sure the problem because it would make no sense.

          > Also, what do you guys use to heat your stills?

          I use tank water heaters with variacs.

          Pin