RE: [new_distillers] SS Scrubbers

  • Campbell Jones
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 2, 2002

      Robert

      I got some from Sainsburys 3 for under a £

        Robert N <dinks_c@...> wrote:

      Try Coles or Woolworth’s take your magnet into the store and check them out first before you buy the shop out.

      Yours' in Spirit!

      Robert

      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 2, 2002
        I bought mine from a Coles supermarket. Make sure that are pure
        stainless
      • Robert N
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 3, 2002

          As the Doctor states in a post below this one most if not all Stainless Steel is magnetic to some degree. So a good rule of thumb is purchase one or two take them home boil them up, toss it outside in the weather for a couple of days! If they show any signs of rust, look for a better brand!

          3 for a UK pound sounds about what I paid for the small ones here in Australia. (1$au each)

          1$au = ~ 0.36pence

          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 3, 2008
            We have been asked many time here about Copper scrubbers and how to
            check the cheap ones with a magnet to make sure that they are not
            painted Steel. The other day in Lowes I ran across some Stainless
            Steel Scrubbers in the grill section and picked up a couple. They are
            also Magnetic, Slightly. However I know from years of working with
            metals and Stainless even 316 that has been worked, for instance made
            into a spring, will be slightly magnetic. I like these because they
            are not flimsy like copper scrubbers although I do plan on putting a
            couple of the copper ones in the column as well.
            Also, Is there anyone using the Brewhaus Structured packing and is
            there any advantage with it over Plain old scrubbers? If it packs
            easier or is easier to clean, or is more efficient Then I would
            consider that.

            Mason
          • Kim
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 3, 2008

              > We have been asked many time here about Copper scrubbers and how to
              > check the cheap ones with a magnet to make sure that they are not
              > painted Steel. The other day in Lowes I ran across some Stainless
              > Steel Scrubbers in the grill section and picked up a couple. They are
              > also Magnetic, Slightly. However I know from years of working with
              > metals and Stainless even 316 that has been worked, for instance made
              > into a spring, will be slightly magnetic. I like these because they
              > are not flimsy like copper scrubbers although I do plan on putting a
              > couple of the copper ones in the column as well.
              > Also, Is there anyone using the Brewhaus Structured packing and is
              > there any advantage with it over Plain old scrubbers? If it packs
              > easier or is easier to clean, or is more efficient Then I would
              > consider that.
              >
              > Mason

              SS doesn't give as nice flavor as copper..... try Brawny copper
              scrubbers ... they are pure copper.... take them apart and roll them
              up to stuff in the column...

              Kim
            • castillo.alex2008
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 3, 2008
                Hey Mason

                I use the copper from Brewhaus. Easy to roll, cut and clean. As you
                may know, provides a big reflux surface at the time that copper
                eliminates traces of sulfur from the yeast´s metabolism. I use it only
                for spirits run and after 3 or 4 times you may clean it with vinegar
                which will make them look as a brand new shiny penny. Just leave them
                in the vinegar a couple of hours and rinse it with plenty water, but
                as some has said before this darkening of the copper may be beneficial
                for the flavor.

                Hope it helps.

                Alex

                > We have been asked many time here about Copper scrubbers and how to
                > check the cheap ones with a magnet to make sure that they are not
                > painted Steel. The other day in Lowes I ran across some Stainless
                > Steel Scrubbers in the grill section and picked up a couple. They are
                > also Magnetic, Slightly. However I know from years of working with
                > metals and Stainless even 316 that has been worked, for instance made
                > into a spring, will be slightly magnetic. I like these because they
                > are not flimsy like copper scrubbers although I do plan on putting a
                > couple of the copper ones in the column as well.
                > Also, Is there anyone using the Brewhaus Structured packing and is
                > there any advantage with it over Plain old scrubbers? If it packs
                > easier or is easier to clean, or is more efficient Then I would
                > consider that.
                >
                > Mason

              • Rob Macrobert
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 4, 2008
                  I've been using the Brewhaus packing for a while, and would only go back to standard scrubbers as a last resort.
                  It packs _MUCH_ better and easier, and with it being a finer  weave, IMO it works much better.

                  And most important of all, you know exactly what you are getting for your money.

                  Cheers,

                  --
                  Be Yourself @ mail.com!
                  Choose From 200+ Email Addresses
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 13, 2008
                    Just wanted to thank everyone for replying on and off list. Wound up
                    going with the Brewhaus stuff. Even though my Still column is all
                    copper I felt it would still benifit from copper packing.

                    Mason