Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.
 

Re: plastic/off taste

Expand Messages
  • bruich44
    Shoot, I m afraid I responded to your post and didn t say how much bleach I use. It s not my fault though, it was the whiskey. It s always the whiskey. I do
    Message 1 of 3 , May 6, 2011
      Shoot, I'm afraid I responded to your post and didn't say how much bleach I use. It's not my fault though, it was the whiskey. It's always the whiskey.

      I do a good glug, which translates to somewhere around 1-2 cups bleach in a 5 gallon container and I leave it closed up (if a glass carboy, plastic wrap and a rubber band over the top) until I'm ready to use it again. I'll run a carboy scrubber through it if there's still junk accumulating on the sides, but that's glass. Plastic I use dish soap from the kitchen and a soft sponge to clean, then bleach the same way. Stainless is just a soak in any generic oxy-clean stain remover soap, frankly, I should use that for glass too, but I'm cheap.

      Pure bleach is rather hard core, and I'm not a fan of plastics. The two together can't be good. I'm assuming you're talking an ice chest for mashing grains and I have no advice for removing a bleach smell. I haven't come across that issue. You can't remove bleach taste from liquid. I do use bleach as my cleaner and have for many, many years without issue.

      I apologize if my post led you to use pure bleach. I will drink more and respond less. Or just be more specific.
    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.