Re: plastic/off taste
- When you say plastic totes? what do you mean? I'm guessing the plastic is food grade.
Having brewed beer for over 15 years, rule #1 is never scratch plastic as it can be a hiding place for bacteria and wild yeast.
Also 1:10 bleach-water is more effective than 100% bleach.
--- In email@example.com, "squirrelliquer" <squirrelliquer@...> wrote:
> A couple weeks ago I had washed my plastic totes with uncut bleach and rinsed several times. Would this have degraded the plastic any or would scrubbing the totes with a souring pad have done that? I have not gotten this flavor until I used bleach. Is plastic inherantly bad to use at any point of the mashing process?
- Shoot, I'm afraid I responded to your post and didn't say how much bleach I use. It's not my fault though, it was the whiskey. It's always the whiskey.
I do a good glug, which translates to somewhere around 1-2 cups bleach in a 5 gallon container and I leave it closed up (if a glass carboy, plastic wrap and a rubber band over the top) until I'm ready to use it again. I'll run a carboy scrubber through it if there's still junk accumulating on the sides, but that's glass. Plastic I use dish soap from the kitchen and a soft sponge to clean, then bleach the same way. Stainless is just a soak in any generic oxy-clean stain remover soap, frankly, I should use that for glass too, but I'm cheap.
Pure bleach is rather hard core, and I'm not a fan of plastics. The two together can't be good. I'm assuming you're talking an ice chest for mashing grains and I have no advice for removing a bleach smell. I haven't come across that issue. You can't remove bleach taste from liquid. I do use bleach as my cleaner and have for many, many years without issue.
I apologize if my post led you to use pure bleach. I will drink more and respond less. Or just be more specific.