Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

plastic/off taste

Expand Messages
  • squirrelliquer
    A couple weeks ago I had washed my plastic totes with uncut bleach and rinsed several times. Would this have degraded the plastic any or would scrubbing the
    Message 1 of 3 , May 5, 2011
    • 0 Attachment
      A couple weeks ago I had washed my plastic totes with uncut bleach and rinsed several times. Would this have degraded the plastic any or would scrubbing the totes with a souring pad have done that? I have not gotten this flavor until I used bleach. Is plastic inherantly bad to use at any point of the mashing process?
    • ggenovezos
      When you say plastic totes? what do you mean? I m guessing the plastic is food grade. Having brewed beer for over 15 years, rule #1 is never scratch plastic as
      Message 2 of 3 , May 5, 2011
      • 0 Attachment
        When you say plastic totes? what do you mean? I'm guessing the plastic is food grade.

        Having brewed beer for over 15 years, rule #1 is never scratch plastic as it can be a hiding place for bacteria and wild yeast.

        Also 1:10 bleach-water is more effective than 100% bleach.



        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "squirrelliquer" <squirrelliquer@...> wrote:
        >
        > A couple weeks ago I had washed my plastic totes with uncut bleach and rinsed several times. Would this have degraded the plastic any or would scrubbing the totes with a souring pad have done that? I have not gotten this flavor until I used bleach. Is plastic inherantly bad to use at any point of the mashing process?
        >
      • bruich44
        Shoot, I m afraid I responded to your post and didn t say how much bleach I use. It s not my fault though, it was the whiskey. It s always the whiskey. I do
        Message 3 of 3 , May 6, 2011
        • 0 Attachment
          Shoot, I'm afraid I responded to your post and didn't say how much bleach I use. It's not my fault though, it was the whiskey. It's always the whiskey.

          I do a good glug, which translates to somewhere around 1-2 cups bleach in a 5 gallon container and I leave it closed up (if a glass carboy, plastic wrap and a rubber band over the top) until I'm ready to use it again. I'll run a carboy scrubber through it if there's still junk accumulating on the sides, but that's glass. Plastic I use dish soap from the kitchen and a soft sponge to clean, then bleach the same way. Stainless is just a soak in any generic oxy-clean stain remover soap, frankly, I should use that for glass too, but I'm cheap.

          Pure bleach is rather hard core, and I'm not a fan of plastics. The two together can't be good. I'm assuming you're talking an ice chest for mashing grains and I have no advice for removing a bleach smell. I haven't come across that issue. You can't remove bleach taste from liquid. I do use bleach as my cleaner and have for many, many years without issue.

          I apologize if my post led you to use pure bleach. I will drink more and respond less. Or just be more specific.
        Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.