Re: [new_distillers] Gasket

  • Jerry McCullough
    Message 1 of 13 , May 2 3:01 PM
      I have been distillingg for a couple of years probaly have done 20 plus batches, I use a beer keg for the boiler. I buy a roll of cork gasket material from a local automotive shop and cut my own gaskets. Never had a problem with leakage, bad taste or anything else that relates to a non-food quality product being used to distill.

      The only problem I have had is that after several uses, when the cork gasket drys out, it shrinks substantially. I solved that problem by keeping my gaskets in a gallon of distill water when not being used.

      Message 2 of 13 , May 2 3:02 PM
        Some auto part stores sell them in sheets, so you can cut out the shape and size gasket u need.
      • Joe Klaus
        Message 3 of 13 , May 2 3:05 PM
          Sorry, behind in your conversation, I'll just stay over here and mind my own bussiness.
        • ggenovezos
          Message 4 of 13 , May 2 8:47 PM
            Joe,

            Don't sweat it. We're all here to have fun and learn...

            Message 5 of 13 , May 3 4:28 AM
              Well,
              You can get gasket material at automotive stores as people have
              suggested or DIY with silicone. Coat the keg top with vaseline and the
              bottom of your bowl. Apply the liquid silicone around the keg top and
              place your bowl on top of the silicone gently and let dry. You can then
              just take it off and you have a perfectly matched seal.

              JB. aka Waldo.

              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "ggenovezos" <ggenovez@...>
              wrote:

              > Hi all,
              >
              > I'm looking for some form of gasket material that I can use between
              the keg and a stainless bowl to make a pot still.

              > The top of the keg is cut off...
              >
              > Any ideas?

            • brandon wilbanks
              Message 6 of 13 , May 11 8:04 PM
                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Joe Klaus <joeklaus313@...> wrote:

                > Some auto part stores sell them in sheets, so you can cut out the shape and size gasket u need.

                this may sound stupid, but i use either the big tortillas or cut the small ones, they're food grade, super cheap, & disposable. i make them double thickness. it seemed to work for me & i use a keg/stainless bowl set up using 6 nutserts to clamp my bowl
              • Henk Stuurman
                Message 7 of 13 , May 12 2:28 AM
                  This is an example of thinking out off the box, I like the tortilla-idea!!!

                  Henk

                  > Some auto part stores sell them in sheets, so you can cut out the shape and size gasket u need.

                  this may sound stupid, but i use either the big tortillas or cut the small ones, they're food grade, super cheap, & disposable. i make them double thickness. it seemed to work for me & i use a keg/stainless bowl set up using 6 nutserts to clamp my bowl

                • Adam Fordham
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 12 5:01 PM

                    Amen brother. There's an idea.

                    Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android