RE: [new_distillers] SS Scrubbers

  • Robert N
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 2, 2002

      Try Coles or Woolworth’s take your magnet into the store and check them out first before you buy the shop out.

      Yours' in Spirit!

      Robert

      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 2, 2002
        Hi,

        On Sun, 02 Jun 2002 07:27:59 -0000
        "jdawsonaus" <cheap@...> wrote:

        > I have nearly finished building my still. I have used glass marbles
        > but reading a lot of posts on the subject it seems that SS Scrubbers
        > is the only way to go.
        > I bought some but then found that they were magnetic, clearly not
        > pure SS.
        > Has anyone any idea where I can get decent scrubbers in Australia.
        > Regards All and thanks

        I assume you read my previous post re: Copper Scourers (NOT)... They were
        nothing but steel plated up or washed in copper. Junk.

        Stainless is a slightly different matter. It is a common misconception
        that all stainless steel is 100% antimagnetic - it is _not_. In fact, most
        stainless steels will have some magnetic properties, as they virtually all
        have some ferrous metal content. It's ok, they are still mostly (and
        importantly) nickel and chromium, with traces of a few other rarer metals.

        I have been told that the Chore Boy 'Stainless Steel' scrubbers are the
        way to go. As an experiment, I purchased a package of them and found them
        to be (as I expected..) slightly magnetic. I use a rare earth magnet
        salvaged from an old hard disk drive. That thing will practically stick to
        bare skin ;-) I have heard of no reports of these pieces rusting or
        otherwise perishing in the still.

        YMMV. Good luck!

        ML
      • J. Ganble
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 2, 2002
          Is there any advantage to SS over (real)copper scrubbers?Thanks,Joel.
          I assume you read my previous post re: Copper Scourers (NOT)... They were
          nothing but steel plated up or washed in copper. Junk.

        • Campbell Jones
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 2, 2002

            Robert

            I got some from Sainsburys 3 for under a £

              Robert N <dinks_c@...> wrote:

            Try Coles or Woolworth’s take your magnet into the store and check them out first before you buy the shop out.

            Yours' in Spirit!

            Robert

            I have nearly finished building my still.  I have used glass marbles
            but reading a lot of posts on the subject it seems that SS Scrubbers
            is the only way to go.
            I bought some but then found that they were magnetic, clearly not
            pure SS.
            Has anyone any idea where I can get decent scrubbers in Australia.
            Regards All and thanks

            Sign up to watch the FIFA World Cup video highlights from your desk!

            http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/fc/en

          • headbrewser
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 2, 2002
              I bought mine from a Coles supermarket. Make sure that are pure
              stainless
            • Robert N
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 3, 2002

                As the Doctor states in a post below this one most if not all Stainless Steel is magnetic to some degree. So a good rule of thumb is purchase one or two take them home boil them up, toss it outside in the weather for a couple of days! If they show any signs of rust, look for a better brand!

                3 for a UK pound sounds about what I paid for the small ones here in Australia. (1$au each)

                1$au = ~ 0.36pence

                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 3, 2008
                  We have been asked many time here about Copper scrubbers and how to
                  check the cheap ones with a magnet to make sure that they are not
                  painted Steel. The other day in Lowes I ran across some Stainless
                  Steel Scrubbers in the grill section and picked up a couple. They are
                  also Magnetic, Slightly. However I know from years of working with
                  metals and Stainless even 316 that has been worked, for instance made
                  into a spring, will be slightly magnetic. I like these because they
                  are not flimsy like copper scrubbers although I do plan on putting a
                  couple of the copper ones in the column as well.
                  Also, Is there anyone using the Brewhaus Structured packing and is
                  there any advantage with it over Plain old scrubbers? If it packs
                  easier or is easier to clean, or is more efficient Then I would
                  consider that.

                  Mason
                • Kim
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 3, 2008

                    > We have been asked many time here about Copper scrubbers and how to
                    > check the cheap ones with a magnet to make sure that they are not
                    > painted Steel. The other day in Lowes I ran across some Stainless
                    > Steel Scrubbers in the grill section and picked up a couple. They are
                    > also Magnetic, Slightly. However I know from years of working with
                    > metals and Stainless even 316 that has been worked, for instance made
                    > into a spring, will be slightly magnetic. I like these because they
                    > are not flimsy like copper scrubbers although I do plan on putting a
                    > couple of the copper ones in the column as well.
                    > Also, Is there anyone using the Brewhaus Structured packing and is
                    > there any advantage with it over Plain old scrubbers? If it packs
                    > easier or is easier to clean, or is more efficient Then I would
                    > consider that.
                    >
                    > Mason

                    SS doesn't give as nice flavor as copper..... try Brawny copper
                    scrubbers ... they are pure copper.... take them apart and roll them
                    up to stuff in the column...

                    Kim
                  • castillo.alex2008
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 3, 2008
                      Hey Mason

                      I use the copper from Brewhaus. Easy to roll, cut and clean. As you
                      may know, provides a big reflux surface at the time that copper
                      eliminates traces of sulfur from the yeast´s metabolism. I use it only
                      for spirits run and after 3 or 4 times you may clean it with vinegar
                      which will make them look as a brand new shiny penny. Just leave them
                      in the vinegar a couple of hours and rinse it with plenty water, but
                      as some has said before this darkening of the copper may be beneficial
                      for the flavor.

                      Hope it helps.

                      Alex

                      > We have been asked many time here about Copper scrubbers and how to
                      > check the cheap ones with a magnet to make sure that they are not
                      > painted Steel. The other day in Lowes I ran across some Stainless
                      > Steel Scrubbers in the grill section and picked up a couple. They are
                      > also Magnetic, Slightly. However I know from years of working with
                      > metals and Stainless even 316 that has been worked, for instance made
                      > into a spring, will be slightly magnetic. I like these because they
                      > are not flimsy like copper scrubbers although I do plan on putting a
                      > couple of the copper ones in the column as well.
                      > Also, Is there anyone using the Brewhaus Structured packing and is
                      > there any advantage with it over Plain old scrubbers? If it packs
                      > easier or is easier to clean, or is more efficient Then I would
                      > consider that.
                      >
                      > Mason

                    • Rob Macrobert
                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 4, 2008
                        I've been using the Brewhaus packing for a while, and would only go back to standard scrubbers as a last resort.
                        It packs _MUCH_ better and easier, and with it being a finer  weave, IMO it works much better.

                        And most important of all, you know exactly what you are getting for your money.

                        Cheers,

                        --
                        Be Yourself @ mail.com!
                        Choose From 200+ Email Addresses
                        Message 11 of 12 , Oct 13, 2008
                          Just wanted to thank everyone for replying on and off list. Wound up
                          going with the Brewhaus stuff. Even though my Still column is all
                          copper I felt it would still benifit from copper packing.

                          Mason