Re: [new_distillers] Gasket

  • grandview06 tds.net
    Message 1 of 13 , May 2, 2011
      We went to an auto parts store and bought a roll of gasket material
      and cut one from that.

      On 5/2/11, ggenovezos <ggenovez@...> wrote:
      > Hi all,
      >
      > I'm looking for some form of gasket material that I can use between the keg
      > and a stainless bowl to make a pot still.
      >
      > The top of the keg is cut off...
      >
      > Any ideas?

    • ggenovezos
      Message 2 of 13 , May 2, 2011
        I was concerned that automotive grade did not meet Food grade.

        What about RTV?

        I'm thinking of building a brace that goes over the bowl and few long bolts to press down on the bowl to make the seal.

        Any other ideas?

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "grandview06 tds.net" <Grandview06@...> wrote:

        > We went to an auto parts store and bought a roll of gasket material
        > and cut one from that.
        >
        > On 5/2/11, ggenovezos <ggenovez@...> wrote:
        > > Hi all,
        > >
        > > I'm looking for some form of gasket material that I can use between the keg
        > > and a stainless bowl to make a pot still.
        > >
        > > The top of the keg is cut off...
        > >
        > > Any ideas?

      • Adam Fordham
        Message 3 of 13 , May 2, 2011

          Maybe try a silicon baking sheet?

          Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

          I'm looking for some form of gasket material that I can use between the keg and a stainless bowl to make a pot still.

          The top of the keg is cut off...

          Any ideas?

        • Joe Klaus
          Message 4 of 13 , May 2, 2011
            Some auto parts stores sell them in sheets so u can cut out the gasket you need.

            I'm looking for some form of gasket material that I can use between the keg and a stainless bowl to make a pot still.

            The top of the keg is cut off...

            Any ideas?

          • Jerry McCullough
            Message 5 of 13 , May 2, 2011
              I have been distillingg for a couple of years probaly have done 20 plus batches, I use a beer keg for the boiler. I buy a roll of cork gasket material from a local automotive shop and cut my own gaskets. Never had a problem with leakage, bad taste or anything else that relates to a non-food quality product being used to distill.

              The only problem I have had is that after several uses, when the cork gasket drys out, it shrinks substantially. I solved that problem by keeping my gaskets in a gallon of distill water when not being used.

              Message 6 of 13 , May 2, 2011
                Some auto part stores sell them in sheets, so you can cut out the shape and size gasket u need.
              • Joe Klaus
                Message 7 of 13 , May 2, 2011
                  Sorry, behind in your conversation, I'll just stay over here and mind my own bussiness.
                • ggenovezos
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 2, 2011
                    Joe,

                    Don't sweat it. We're all here to have fun and learn...

                    Message 9 of 13 , May 3, 2011
                      Well,
                      You can get gasket material at automotive stores as people have
                      suggested or DIY with silicone. Coat the keg top with vaseline and the
                      bottom of your bowl. Apply the liquid silicone around the keg top and
                      place your bowl on top of the silicone gently and let dry. You can then
                      just take it off and you have a perfectly matched seal.

                      JB. aka Waldo.

                      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "ggenovezos" <ggenovez@...>
                      wrote:

                      > Hi all,
                      >
                      > I'm looking for some form of gasket material that I can use between
                      the keg and a stainless bowl to make a pot still.

                      > The top of the keg is cut off...
                      >
                      > Any ideas?

                    • brandon wilbanks
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 11, 2011
                        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Joe Klaus <joeklaus313@...> wrote:

                        > Some auto part stores sell them in sheets, so you can cut out the shape and size gasket u need.

                        this may sound stupid, but i use either the big tortillas or cut the small ones, they're food grade, super cheap, & disposable. i make them double thickness. it seemed to work for me & i use a keg/stainless bowl set up using 6 nutserts to clamp my bowl
                      • Henk Stuurman
                        Message 11 of 13 , May 12, 2011
                          This is an example of thinking out off the box, I like the tortilla-idea!!!

                          Henk

                          Message 12 of 13 , May 12, 2011

                            Amen brother. There's an idea.