Re: Ageing

  • tgfoitwoods
    Message 1 of 7 , May 1 11:12 AM
      Iker,

      A lot depends on what kind of rum you're looking to make. I tend toward strong-flavored dark sipping rums, so I age in glass (carboys for 2 gallons if you want it all in the same container...otherwise 2 glass gallon jugs) with toasted oak sticks, at about 65% ABV,  until I've got the oak flavor developed, and than I add home-made caramel and a bit of vanilla to taste and color. What I'm shooting for is a bit like Zaya, a Trinidad sippin' rum, but with stronger rum flavor.

      You'll probably want a different rum, so decide what you want, and find out how it's made. It'll be easier to match the aging process than some of the distilling processes, so aging will be your handiest tool. Once you find out what you like, read everything you can find from Alex Castillo and Harry. Then buy a bottle of whatever commercial rum you want to duplicate, and then start sipping, comparing, and tuning your process and recipe.

      It's hard work but somebody's got to do it.:D

      Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller