Newbie needs guidence

  • joeyalbertus
    Message 1 of 8 , May 1, 2011
      My second wash ever is nearing completion (1st one went south on me) and am in need of a very good set of steps with what to do next. I've only seen mention of "charging" my still and would like to know a little more about it. I'm working with five gallons of sugar wash and converted keg reflux still with a 2" column. Should I do a stripping run first or not? I'm just aiming for not wasting all of my wash by screwing it up and going for highest alcohol content possible for my first try, I'll worry about perfecting it later. Thanks!
      Message 2 of 8 , May 1, 2011
        Hi Joey,

        Congrats on getting this far. Ok your next steps would be to make sure
        the sugar wash is cleared of any solids - ie yeast. It can be cloudy
        but make sure you wait a day or 2 after the bubbles stop for it to
        clear.

        Next, yes do a stripping run. This means getting your still up to temp
        and taking all the ethanol out you can without making cuts. Bring it
        down to 10 to 15% / lower or wait till it goes from cloudy to clear.
        Put all of this in a jug.

        Next dilute it down to about 30% and do your spirits run. Take small
        jars and collect about 1/2 a pint in each jar - make sure you number
        them. i use pint mason jars for this. Let it sit over night and then
        dilute a sample from each down to 40% and taste. The first couple you
        might put in your redistilling jug as feints along with the last few.
        But taste each and if it tastes good then put it in your product jug.

        Good Luck.

        JB. aka Waldo.

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "joeyalbertus" <joeyalbertus@...>
        wrote:

        > My second wash ever is nearing completion (1st one went south on me)
        and am in need of a very good set of steps with what to do next. I've
        only seen mention of "charging" my still and would like to know a little
        more about it. I'm working with five gallons of sugar wash and
        converted keg reflux still with a 2" column. Should I do a stripping run
        first or not? I'm just aiming for not wasting all of my wash by screwing
        it up and going for highest alcohol content possible for my first try,
        I'll worry about perfecting it later. Thanks!

      • w_upnorth
        Message 3 of 8 , May 2, 2011
          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "joeyalbertus" <joeyalbertus@...> wrote:

          > My second wash ever is nearing completion (1st one went south on me) and am in need of a very good set of steps with what to do next. I've only seen mention of "charging" my still and would like to know a little more about it. I'm working with five gallons of sugar wash and converted keg reflux still with a 2" column. Should I do a stripping run first or not? I'm just aiming for not wasting all of my wash by screwing it up and going for highest alcohol content possible for my first try, I'll worry about perfecting it later. Thanks!

          First A few questions.
          have you done a cleaning run on your still? if not you should, it will also help you find any leaks.
          And second. are you inside or out side?
          I run mine out side or just inside my shed with the doors open on windy days. With a well insulated collum over gas I bring my boiler up to a boil. I let the vapor escape for apx. 3 min. then start the water on high. and slowly turn down till my outlet temp is hand washing warm water or slightly cooler. while at full reflux. I find that the forshots are mostly removed and the heads are much smaller and cleaner. I let my 4' collum equalize for about an hour before slowly taking off product. Watch the temp closely and when the temp rises collect the last of it to be added to your next batch before starting to boil, I collet about 3 batches of late stuff and then toss the fourth because the low alcohols are starting to build up. I aim for 95% and test often, setup to finish about 7 hours. Dump boiler the next day. I find I dont have to carbon filter if I take my time and run high reflux rato, time spent properly distilling is more than saved later.
          Dave
        • brzdistiller
          Message 4 of 8 , May 2, 2011
            Hey all,

            I´ve been doing a bunch of strip runs to have enough for a spirits run on my pot still.
            Do you recommend diluting it down to about 30% for fruit brandies and rum as well?

            My still has a head condenser and a coil condenser. As seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbbDYb9kIKM

            If I use only the coil i get higher ABV than using both.

            I still have a lot of experimenting to do here, but to me it seem like a smart move to collect the trip run at higher ABV and the spirits run at lower. I´m going for flavor.

            What do you recommend?

            Thanks for any input.

            Message 5 of 8 , May 3, 2011
              Yes Brzdistiller,

              You should take your packing out and turn off your reflux condenser for
              your spirits run. Even at 30% dilution, you will go over the
              recommended 150 to 160 proof in your spirits run for flavored liquors
              with reflux on. You start losing flavors and heading towards neutral if
              you do.

              In short, keep them in for your stripping run, but run your still like a
              pot still for your spirits run after diluting down to 30%. This should
              keep you within range to keep the flavors.

              JB. aka Waldo.

              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "brzdistiller" <brzdistiller@...>
              wrote:

              > Hey all,
              >
              > I´ve been doing a bunch of strip runs to have enough for a spirits
              run on my pot still.
              > Do you recommend diluting it down to about 30% for fruit brandies and
              rum as well?

              > My still has a head condenser and a coil condenser. As seen here:
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbbDYb9kIKM

              > If I use only the coil i get higher ABV than using both.
              >
              > I still have a lot of experimenting to do here, but to me it seem like
              a smart move to collect the trip run at higher ABV and the spirits run
              at lower. I´m going for flavor.

              > What do you recommend?
              >
              > Thanks for any input.
            • brzdistiller
              Message 6 of 8 , May 3, 2011
                Hey JB,
                Thanks for the reply.

                My still has no packing what so ever.

                The top condenser chills the vapors in a way that I have very little or no reflux…

                Check the schematic drawing here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/62463879@N03/with/5685314078/

                As you can see in the drawing, the red marked part inside the still head forces the droplets to the coil condenser as they chill, leaving little work for the coil to do.

                From the tests I've done so far just the top condenser is enough to give me liquid at the end without chilling the coil condenser, but I never use it this way.

                It´s hard for me to get high ABVs on the first run, so I guess I have no option but to do it right.

                I think I should strip with just the coil and do a second run using both condensers at 30%.

                Did I get this right?

                Thanks again.

                Message 7 of 8 , May 3, 2011
                  Ahh,

                  Now I see what your talking about. You should be fine doing it this
                  way.

                  wrote:

                  > Hey JB,
                  > Thanks for the reply.
                  >
                  > My still has no packing what so ever.
                  >
                  > The top condenser chills the vapors in a way that I have very little
                  or no reflux…

                  > Check the schematic drawing here:
                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/62463879@N03/with/5685314078/

                  > As you can see in the drawing, the red marked part inside the still
                  head forces the droplets to the coil condenser as they chill, leaving
                  little work for the coil to do.

                  > From the tests I've done so far just the top condenser is enough to
                  give me liquid at the end without chilling the coil condenser, but I
                  never use it this way.

                  > It´s hard for me to get high ABVs on the first run, so I guess I
                  have no option but to do it right.

                  > I think I should strip with just the coil and do a second run using
                  both condensers at 30%.

                  > Did I get this right?
                  >
                  > Thanks again.
                • Adam Fordham
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 4, 2011

                    Nice looking. . I use stainless but copper does look awesome.

                    Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android