Re: [new_distillers] KEG

  • Brian Bashford
    Message 1 of 23 , Jun 2, 2002
      Mine came from a pub. I asked for one and they told me to take my pick. I thought there was a deposit on them but apparently not.
        Brian B.
      Message 2 of 23 , Jun 2, 2002

        Hi Brian

        Would that be in the UK........ Hopefully ?

        I'm desperate for one but heard that the breweries are very sore on this subject

          Brian Bashford <tipitina@...> wrote:

        Mine came from a pub. I asked for one and they told me to take my pick. I thought there was a deposit on them but apparently not.
          Brian B.
        > Where do you all get your kegs for using as biolers.
        > Back of a Pub??
        > Martin

        Sign up to watch the FIFA World Cup video highlights from your desk!

        http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/fc/en

      • Brian Bashford

            Message 5 of 23 , Jun 2, 2002
              Less problems if you go to the manufacturer and purchase one of their
              unrepairable kegs at the scrap metal value. Mine were AUS$20 each.
              The manufacturers name is on the handle section.

              Keep the receipt to show the fabricator if adding fittings.

              If you don't get a pretty one, then you still have a receipt for when
              you stummble upon a new shiny one
            • billy bob
              Message 6 of 23 , Jun 2, 2002
                Just wondering if you have any idea who the manufacturer of these kegs
                is.Thanks
                Martin

                >From: "headbrewser" <headbrewser@...>
                >To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
                >Subject: [new_distillers] Re: KEG
                >Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2002 04:19:09 -0000
                >
                >Less problems if you go to the manufacturer and purchase one of their
                >unrepairable kegs at the scrap metal value. Mine were AUS$20 each.
                >The manufacturers name is on the handle section.
                >
                >Keep the receipt to show the fabricator if adding fittings.
                >
                >If you don't get a pretty one, then you still have a receipt for when
                >you stummble upon a new shiny one

              • Campbell Jones
                Message 7 of 23 , Jun 6, 2002

                  Hi Brian

                  Just got back to the sticks after a visit to the smoke !!!  I loitered near by every pub on the way back and saw some shiny beauties  So now I shall have a quiet chat with my local landlord.

                  One question arises. Any tips on how to make the joint between the column and the top of the Keg ? Other's attempts look mightily complicated

                  Anyway, thanks for the info

                  Campbell

                    Brian Bashford <tipitina@...> wrote:

                  Hi Campbell,
                     Yes, I always thought I was going to have to pinch one on the way home one dark night but according to the landlord I approached there isn't a deposit. He said to take whichever one I wanted out of a stack of about 30. This was a Laurel Inns / Whitbread pub. UK, East Sussex.

                  Brian B.
                  Would that be in the UK........ Hopefully ?

                  I'm desperate for one but heard that the breweries are very sore on this subject

                    Brian Bashford <tipitina@...> wrote:

                  Mine came from a pub. I asked for one and they told me to take my pick. I thought there was a deposit on them but apparently not.
                    Brian B.

                  Sign up to watch the FIFA World Cup video highlights from your desk!

                  http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/fc/en

                • Michael Spottswood
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jun 6, 2002
                    Hi Campbell:
                    I use a keg for my boiler and was not interested in making a complicated
                    flange or removable lid that would have gaskets. So at the risk of a more
                    difficult cleaning procedure, I did the following:

                    I purchased a 2" stainless steel half-coupling from McMaster-Carr
                    www.mcmaster.com and had it welded to the opening where the keg valve once
                    was.

                    Then I purchased a 2" copper sweat thread adapter from the local plumbing
                    house and soldered it to the reflux column. I had considered using teflon
                    tape to seal it, but found it was not needed as I did not spring a vapor
                    leak from the joint without it. I believe it is because the copper is quite
                    a bit softer than the stainless.

                    If you consider this option, make sure the threads match. The stuff I found
                    had 11.5 threads-per-inch and were NPT (normal pipe thread).

                    The overall price for both pieces totaled about $25.00 US and it works
                    great. When I need to clean the boiler, I just take it to a friend's shop
                    and powerwash it with a device similar to a manual car wash. This was a
                    very simple and inexpensive way to attach the column and it saved me a lot
                    of time and money in screw-ups.

                    One last consideration:
                    I was lucky enough to find a 2 inch brass union in my friends scrap heap;
                    they are about $30.00 US new. I have this soldered to the column directly
                    above the thread adapter so that I do not have to continuously remove the
                    column by the threads. That would cause considerable wear on the copper.
                    Usually, if you add a sweat coupling without sweating one side, you won't
                    get a leak, as there is no pressure on the system. This will allow easy
                    removal of the column for filling, draining, cleaning, etc.

                    Hope this helps,
                    Mike

                  • Steve
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jun 6, 2002
                      Hi all,

                      I'm very new to this game and was wondering what you people use to clear
                      the wash? I did a little research and found that Sparkeloid
                      (Sparkalloid?) was mentioned a few times. Anyone know if this is
                      available in Australia?

                      I also think that I read somewhere that egg white can be used. Does
                      anyone have any info on this, or any other tips?

                      Thanks,
                      Steve
                    • waljaco
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jun 6, 2002
                        Sparkalloid is a proprietary fining made from seaweed.
                        For alternative finings to clear wash see msg 3264 & 3278

                        Wal

                        --- In new_distillers@y..., "Steve" <sbeek@i...> wrote:
                        > Hi all,
                        >
                        > I'm very new to this game and was wondering what you people use to
                        clear
                        > the wash? I did a little research and found that Sparkeloid
                        > (Sparkalloid?) was mentioned a few times. Anyone know if this is
                        > available in Australia?
                        >
                        > I also think that I read somewhere that egg white can be used. Does
                        > anyone have any info on this, or any other tips?
                        >
                        > Thanks,
                        > Steve
                      • Steve
                        Message 11 of 23 , Jun 6, 2002
                          Thanks Wal,

                          I did an archive search but used "wash" as the search criteria. I'll try
                          gelatine in my next wash.

                          Cheers,
                          Steve

                        • Rev. David M. Cunningham
                          Message 12 of 23 , Jun 7, 2002
                            On Fri, 7 Jun 2002 13:06:43 +1000
                            "Steve" <sbeek@...> wrote:

                            S> I also think that I read somewhere that egg white can be used. Does
                            S> anyone have any info on this, or any other tips?

                            Natural organic fining material in common use are albumen, gelatin, and
                            isinglass. Most of these rely on their combining with tannin in wine to
                            effect clarification. For that reason it is generally necessary to add
                            tannin to white wines at the rate of 1/2 gram per gallon 24 hours before
                            fining with these materials. Exceptions to this rule of thumb are such
                            high-tannin white wines as those made from grapefruit and pears.

                            Organic fining materials are used in the following ways:

                            Albumen: Beat the white of one egg and a pinch of salt in 1 bottle of
                            wine until frothy. Mix well with the wine, to which tannin was added 24
                            hours earlier. One egg white will clear up to 10 gallons of wine. The
                            wine with the egg white should stand quietly for 2 to 3 weeks. When
                            clear, rack and bottle or distill.

                            Gelatin: Use the finest obtainable gelatin (unflavored, granulated food
                            gelatin is handy). Dissolve in 1 cup warm water, and add to 1 bottle of
                            wine. When thoroughly dissolved in the wine, mix with the remaining
                            tannin-treated wine. Allow to clear; then rack and bottle or distill.

                            Isinglass: Isinglass is a fish gelatin made from sturgeon. It may be
                            possible to obtain it from a large chemical supply house or from some of
                            the better wine and brewing shops. The required amount of sheet
                            isinglass is soaked in wine for 24 hours; then the wine and isinglass
                            are disintegrated in a blender. Isinglass can be added to tannin-treated
                            wine in the same manner as described for albumen and gelatin.

                            Most of this was taken from different wine books that I have and the
                            knowledge that was passed down to me through family tradition. I have
                            never used these methods, so I can offer no further advise on tips or
                            tricks on how to make it work "just right" for you. The family members
                            that have handed down their wine knowledge to me have passed from their
                            incarnation and are now making wine with the gods.

                            Sincerely,
                            Rev. David M. Cunningham
                          • ups474@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 23 , Jun 7, 2002
                              Gelatin doesn't work as well in sugar mashes- it works by binding to tannin-
                              which sugar doesn't have. The best bet is Polyclar AT. It can be done in as
                              little as a few hours.
                            • Campbell Jones
                              Message 14 of 23 , Jun 8, 2002

                                Hi Mike

                                Thanks for the info.

                                The only part of that approach was cleaning the keg after use. You refered  to a pressure washer for this. I guess a domestic power washer would do the trick ? Although my present project is based on a small  ss domestic washboiler I am being drawn to a ss keg for the future. What a hobby this is ............

                                Cheers

                                Campbell

                                  Michael Spottswood <mikespotts@...> wrote:

[...]

                              • janpam ooms
                                Message 15 of 23 , Jun 8, 2002
                                  Hi there, Polyclar AT no doubt is a US trade name. What is it exactly made
                                  from. We might have it here in Australia under a different trading name.
                                  Thanking you for all the good advise in the past and no doubt well into the
                                  future.
                                  Regards. JAN.

                                  >From: ups474@...
                                  >To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
                                  >Subject: Re: [new_distillers] Clearing Wash
                                  >Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2002 01:30:23 EDT
                                  >
                                  >Gelatin doesn't work as well in sugar mashes- it works by binding to
                                  >tannin-
                                  >which sugar doesn't have. The best bet is Polyclar AT. It can be done in
                                  >as
                                  >little as a few hours.

                                • Steve
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Jun 8, 2002
                                    Hi Rev. David M. Cunningham,

                                    Thanks for your information.

                                    > knowledge that was passed down to me through family tradition. I have
                                    > never used these methods, so I can offer no further advise on tips or

                                    If you've never used any of the suggested methods then how do you clear
                                    your wash?

                                    Cheers,
                                    Steve
                                  • ups474@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Jun 8, 2002
                                      Polycalr AT is also known as povidone (short for polyvinylpyrrolidone). It's
                                      a powder derived from Nylon 66. you use it at a rate of 30-50 grams per 100
                                      liters. Dissolve it in sterile water, and add it to the mash. Another good
                                      choice is to set up a cheap filter system. The stuff sold in camping-gear
                                      outfits for use as water purifiers can be turned into a lot of neat mash
                                      filters.
                                    • Campbell Jones
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Jun 9, 2002

                                        Hi Steve

                                        Now that is a good question Steve. I am a newcomer to turbo yeasts having used " ordinary "  wine yeasts for years both for home wine production and our hobby too. I could ferment, rack and use these in approx 6 weeks as they were then " crystal " clear withiut the addition of any clearing product.

                                        Can anyone please tell me how long ( assuming no temperature problems in fermentation etc. ) it takes for a wash to clear enough to distill using these products. I started 25 L over two weeks ago and it went down to .996 OK. It has been sitting in a cold 58 F cellar since then and is still far too cloudy to use. Weeks  .... Months.?? Apart from the obvious high alcohol production is there any point in using these expensive chemicals ?

                                        Just wondering folks   ..... and impatient as I am waiting to do a first run on a new outfit.

                                        Cheers

                                        Campbell

                                        Message 19 of 23 , Jun 9, 2002
                                          << If you've never used any of the suggested methods then how do you
                                          clear your wash? >>

                                          Just to clear up some things (no pun intended), I never "suggested" the
                                          methods that I described. I only offered them as a piece of "historical"
                                          knowledge. I have no idea how well those methods really work, but by the
                                          amount of old wine making instructions that I have came across, they
                                          must have worked real well for those times. My family members used to
                                          use them, so I guess they were good for something.

                                          For my "brews," I let it sit and allow for it to clear itself. I don't use those "Turbo"
                                          yeasts, as I use regular EC-1118 and K1-V1116 by Lalvin.

                                          I make wine and this is where most of my "brewing" knowledge comes
                                          from. I follow my recipe's (yes Lynne, I do add and subtract from them
                                          when necessary) and make them just like any other type of wine. I have
                                          have used Sparkiloid (spelling?) a few times for real stubborn ones.

                                          Plain and simple -- that is the way I like things.

                                          Sincerely,
                                          Rev. David M. Cunningham

                                          P.S. I never received the original e-mail asking me this question, so I
                                          apologize for not answering sooner. It seems that Yahoo! and local law
                                          enforcement like to play with my e-mail at times.
                                        • waljaco
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Jun 10, 2002
                                            peter_vcb in msg 3263 recommended "Common Wine and Beer Finings" site
                                            http://www.brewerylane.com/finings.html
                                            Good description of the various finings available - appears you might
                                            need a positive and negative charged fining to be absolutely sure?