Re: Ageing

  • gff_stwrt
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 30 4:58 PM
      Hi, Adam and folks,
      I had a few one imperial gallon flagons without stoppers, and some fairly large screw-top jars with lids that were going rusty.
      By looking around at garage/yard sales and opportunity shops-

      ( Do you call them that in America?
      They sell second-hand clothes and household stuff.For charities.)

      -I have found a lot of smallish ceramic pots with corks (say less than two inch to a bit over four inch), from 50 cents to a dollar twenty-five each.
      Put the crock aside in case I need it one day (I never will...) and spend a little time on the cork with a rasp (gently lest it break, these are not the highest quality cork but they are fine for this) and I have my stoppers.
      Regards,
      The Baker

    • tgfoitwoods
      Message 2 of 7 , May 1, 2011
        Iker,

        A lot depends on what kind of rum you're looking to make. I tend toward strong-flavored dark sipping rums, so I age in glass (carboys for 2 gallons if you want it all in the same container...otherwise 2 glass gallon jugs) with toasted oak sticks, at about 65% ABV,  until I've got the oak flavor developed, and than I add home-made caramel and a bit of vanilla to taste and color. What I'm shooting for is a bit like Zaya, a Trinidad sippin' rum, but with stronger rum flavor.

        You'll probably want a different rum, so decide what you want, and find out how it's made. It'll be easier to match the aging process than some of the distilling processes, so aging will be your handiest tool. Once you find out what you like, read everything you can find from Alex Castillo and Harry. Then buy a bottle of whatever commercial rum you want to duplicate, and then start sipping, comparing, and tuning your process and recipe.

        It's hard work but somebody's got to do it.:D

        Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller