Filtering issues...

  • Slingshot
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 29, 2011
      I have, over time, made several sucessful batches, most of them whiskey aged in oak barrels. Taste is great, but I am having problems with sediment in my finished product. I run through a fine screen, and run again through 2 coffee filters, sometimes up to three times. The finished result has fine sediment that settles after a few days. I have the same problem after I polish a neutral with carbon. What are you others having sucess with in your filtering? Could it just be as simple as trying a different brand of filter???
    • gff_stwrt
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 29, 2011
        Hi, sling and everybody,
        The very word 'sediment' means it is settling on the bottom of the container.
        Suppose you let it settle a couple of weeks, say,
        (in a taller, narrower vessel would be an advantage)
        (and glass makes it easy to see what is going on)
        and then gently rack the clear stuff off the sediment.
        ('Syphon', if you are not familiar with the term 'to rack'.)
        Regards,
        The Baker

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Slingshot" <slange22@...> wrote:

        > I have, over time, made several sucessful batches, most of them whiskey aged in oak barrels. Taste is great, but I am having problems with sediment in my finished product. I run through a fine screen, and run again through 2 coffee filters, sometimes up to three times. The finished result has fine sediment that settles after a few days. I have the same problem after I polish a neutral with carbon. What are you others having sucess with in your filtering? Could it just be as simple as trying a different brand of filter???

      • Adam Fordham
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 30, 2011

          I ran into similar problems carbon filtering. What I did was cram cheap unscented toilet paper into the end of my filter. Greatly slowed the process down but worked for me. I only carbon filter nuetral. For my Whiskey / Bourbon I age on chips in 1 gal glass juggs. I just pour off the top thru a coffee filter and haven't had any problems there. I do rinse my chips in water before I use them.

          Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android