SS Scrubbers

  • jdawsonaus
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 2, 2002
      I have nearly finished building my still. I have used glass marbles
      but reading a lot of posts on the subject it seems that SS Scrubbers
      is the only way to go.
      I bought some but then found that they were magnetic, clearly not
      pure SS.
      Has anyone any idea where I can get decent scrubbers in Australia.
      Regards All and thanks
    • Robert N
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 2, 2002

        Try Coles or Woolworth’s take your magnet into the store and check them out first before you buy the shop out.

        Yours' in Spirit!

        Robert

        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 2, 2002
          Hi,

          On Sun, 02 Jun 2002 07:27:59 -0000
          "jdawsonaus" <cheap@...> wrote:

          > I have nearly finished building my still. I have used glass marbles
          > but reading a lot of posts on the subject it seems that SS Scrubbers
          > is the only way to go.
          > I bought some but then found that they were magnetic, clearly not
          > pure SS.
          > Has anyone any idea where I can get decent scrubbers in Australia.
          > Regards All and thanks

          I assume you read my previous post re: Copper Scourers (NOT)... They were
          nothing but steel plated up or washed in copper. Junk.

          Stainless is a slightly different matter. It is a common misconception
          that all stainless steel is 100% antimagnetic - it is _not_. In fact, most
          stainless steels will have some magnetic properties, as they virtually all
          have some ferrous metal content. It's ok, they are still mostly (and
          importantly) nickel and chromium, with traces of a few other rarer metals.

          I have been told that the Chore Boy 'Stainless Steel' scrubbers are the
          way to go. As an experiment, I purchased a package of them and found them
          to be (as I expected..) slightly magnetic. I use a rare earth magnet
          salvaged from an old hard disk drive. That thing will practically stick to
          bare skin ;-) I have heard of no reports of these pieces rusting or
          otherwise perishing in the still.

          YMMV. Good luck!

          ML
        • J. Ganble
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 2, 2002
            Is there any advantage to SS over (real)copper scrubbers?Thanks,Joel.
            I assume you read my previous post re: Copper Scourers (NOT)... They were
            nothing but steel plated up or washed in copper. Junk.

          • Campbell Jones
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 2, 2002

              Robert

              I got some from Sainsburys 3 for under a £

                Robert N <dinks_c@...> wrote:

              Try Coles or Woolworth’s take your magnet into the store and check them out first before you buy the shop out.

              Yours' in Spirit!

              Robert

              I have nearly finished building my still.  I have used glass marbles
              but reading a lot of posts on the subject it seems that SS Scrubbers
              is the only way to go.
              I bought some but then found that they were magnetic, clearly not
              pure SS.
              Has anyone any idea where I can get decent scrubbers in Australia.
              Regards All and thanks

              Sign up to watch the FIFA World Cup video highlights from your desk!

              http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/fc/en

            • headbrewser
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 2, 2002
                I bought mine from a Coles supermarket. Make sure that are pure
                stainless
              • Robert N
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 3, 2002

                  As the Doctor states in a post below this one most if not all Stainless Steel is magnetic to some degree. So a good rule of thumb is purchase one or two take them home boil them up, toss it outside in the weather for a couple of days! If they show any signs of rust, look for a better brand!

                  3 for a UK pound sounds about what I paid for the small ones here in Australia. (1$au each)

                  1$au = ~ 0.36pence

                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 3, 2008
                    We have been asked many time here about Copper scrubbers and how to
                    check the cheap ones with a magnet to make sure that they are not
                    painted Steel. The other day in Lowes I ran across some Stainless
                    Steel Scrubbers in the grill section and picked up a couple. They are
                    also Magnetic, Slightly. However I know from years of working with
                    metals and Stainless even 316 that has been worked, for instance made
                    into a spring, will be slightly magnetic. I like these because they
                    are not flimsy like copper scrubbers although I do plan on putting a
                    couple of the copper ones in the column as well.
                    Also, Is there anyone using the Brewhaus Structured packing and is
                    there any advantage with it over Plain old scrubbers? If it packs
                    easier or is easier to clean, or is more efficient Then I would
                    consider that.

                    Mason
                  • Kim
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 3, 2008

                      > We have been asked many time here about Copper scrubbers and how to
                      > check the cheap ones with a magnet to make sure that they are not
                      > painted Steel. The other day in Lowes I ran across some Stainless
                      > Steel Scrubbers in the grill section and picked up a couple. They are
                      > also Magnetic, Slightly. However I know from years of working with
                      > metals and Stainless even 316 that has been worked, for instance made
                      > into a spring, will be slightly magnetic. I like these because they
                      > are not flimsy like copper scrubbers although I do plan on putting a
                      > couple of the copper ones in the column as well.
                      > Also, Is there anyone using the Brewhaus Structured packing and is
                      > there any advantage with it over Plain old scrubbers? If it packs
                      > easier or is easier to clean, or is more efficient Then I would
                      > consider that.
                      >
                      > Mason

                      SS doesn't give as nice flavor as copper..... try Brawny copper
                      scrubbers ... they are pure copper.... take them apart and roll them
                      up to stuff in the column...

                      Kim
                    • castillo.alex2008
                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 3, 2008
                        Hey Mason

                        I use the copper from Brewhaus. Easy to roll, cut and clean. As you
                        may know, provides a big reflux surface at the time that copper
                        eliminates traces of sulfur from the yeast´s metabolism. I use it only
                        for spirits run and after 3 or 4 times you may clean it with vinegar
                        which will make them look as a brand new shiny penny. Just leave them
                        in the vinegar a couple of hours and rinse it with plenty water, but
                        as some has said before this darkening of the copper may be beneficial
                        for the flavor.

                        Hope it helps.

                        Alex

                        > We have been asked many time here about Copper scrubbers and how to
                        > check the cheap ones with a magnet to make sure that they are not
                        > painted Steel. The other day in Lowes I ran across some Stainless
                        > Steel Scrubbers in the grill section and picked up a couple. They are
                        > also Magnetic, Slightly. However I know from years of working with
                        > metals and Stainless even 316 that has been worked, for instance made
                        > into a spring, will be slightly magnetic. I like these because they
                        > are not flimsy like copper scrubbers although I do plan on putting a
                        > couple of the copper ones in the column as well.
                        > Also, Is there anyone using the Brewhaus Structured packing and is
                        > there any advantage with it over Plain old scrubbers? If it packs
                        > easier or is easier to clean, or is more efficient Then I would
                        > consider that.
                        >
                        > Mason

                      • Rob Macrobert
                        Message 11 of 12 , Oct 4, 2008
                          I've been using the Brewhaus packing for a while, and would only go back to standard scrubbers as a last resort.
                          It packs _MUCH_ better and easier, and with it being a finer  weave, IMO it works much better.

                          And most important of all, you know exactly what you are getting for your money.

                          Cheers,

                          --
                          Be Yourself @ mail.com!
                          Choose From 200+ Email Addresses
                          Message 12 of 12 , Oct 13, 2008
                            Just wanted to thank everyone for replying on and off list. Wound up
                            going with the Brewhaus stuff. Even though my Still column is all
                            copper I felt it would still benifit from copper packing.

                            Mason