Re: clouded distillate

  • flakedmaize
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 21, 2011
      I don't know what my abv is because I can't get a clear sample for my og. I tried a refractometer that I have, but the scale does'nt go low enough(its meant for higher concentrations of sugar). The iodine test shows no starch presence and it tastes very sweet to very sour after about 72 hours. Im sure I have good conversion. I also put my last 2 batches in with the wash, heads tails hearts, everything, because it all tasted awful. I switched to tails around 120 proof I think. I am sure at points it was over 150 proof. I took off 100 ml foreshots, 200ml heads then numbered jars 1 thru 6 of varying amounts,then tails till 90 proof or so. Only used the parrot at the end to watch for sharp drop. After much tasting and debate I mixed jars 1 thru 5, leaving 6 with 200 ml clear, and tails 350ml or so and very cloudy. The resulting mix of 1 thru 5 was 150 proof, I dont know what they were individually. I'm running through a 1" copper column 18" tall and quart mason jar doubler, the stomper setups they sell online(hope I don't offend anyone). I will try some different water, good idea, thanks