Re: New Still - Part 2

  • bn42ca
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1, 2002
      --- In new_distillers@y..., John Vandermeulen <vandermeulen@n...>
      wrote:
      > I am trying to get the design clear in my mind. You have a 1m.
      length of
      > (2"diam) copper pipe mounted on top of the keg. And within the
      very top end of
      > that column you have a short multi-barrelled 'reflux unit'.

      Yes, but the reflux unit is additional to the 1m column

      > 1) Is that section of the column completely empty?

      On the first test, it was packed with stainless steel scrubbers, to
      function as a pot, I would need to remove then and run without any
      reflux.

      The idea is of course, that I have a number of different options in
      the way that it can be used, with very little effort.

      From what I have seen, 90% is within the range of the commercial
      units, but obviously not as high as can be achieved by a little more
      attention to detail.
    • bn42ca
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1, 2002
        --- In new_distillers@y..., Tony & Elle Ackland <Tony.Ackland@c...>
        wrote:
        > Thats a great wee "firebox" condensor you've made there, and a
        nice
        > attachment to the keg.
        >
        > Just one question for you - what are you using as packing in the
        column ?

        I had stainless scrubbers in for the first go -round

        > With the way you've got the water set up, theres always going to
        be a small
        > amount of self correction needed. Eg if you increase the flowrate
        through
        > the reflux condensor, and return more of the vapour back down the
        column as
        > reflux, then less will be less hot vapour going to the final
        condensor.
        > Thus the water out of the final condensor wont be quite as warm
        as before,
        > so that the reflux condensor will then work even better with its
        cooler
        > water, and reflux even more ...and so on ... etc Its probably
        that you're
        > going to have to be very carefull / patient when "tuning" it, just
        taking
        > it a small bit at a time, and letting it settle down into a new
        balance
        > after each time you adjust the flowrates.
        >
        > See if you can start the column off at total reflux (ie as much
        coolant
        > through the reflux condensor as possible), and then slowly reduce
        it, until
        > you first get the heads off at just a couple of drips per second.
        Once
        > you've finished collecting them, then just slowly reduce that
        coolant flow
        > until the alcohol is coming through at a reasonable flowrate at
        the purity
        > you're happy with. Its probably going to be easier to tune it
        that way -

        Yes, you're absolutely right and that's probably where I made my
        error, I think that I was in too much of a hurry and I should have
        started out with 15 or 20 min of total reflux before begining to run
        off the spirit. That's my plan for the next batch. Thanks!