Mash

  • Iker
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 10, 2011
      When your using grain for a mash to distill can sugar be added to raise the alcohol level and still use it to make whiskey or would it become more of a neutral spirit.
      When I mash i use about 7 pounds of grain and get about 5% alcohol.

      Thanks
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 12, 2011
        Yes you can..

        The UJSSM no cook method calls for 7 lbs of corn and 7 lbs of sugar and
        does not convert the corn starches. Howver, if you make the ABV too
        high, you will lose the grain flavors.

        JB. aka Waldo.

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Iker" <Grandview06@...> wrote:

        > When your using grain for a mash to distill can sugar be added to
        raise the alcohol level and still use it to make whiskey or would it
        become more of a neutral spirit.
        > When I mash i use about 7 pounds of grain and get about 5% alcohol.
        >
        > Thanks

      • Thomas
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 5, 2013
          I read some place that you could make a mash with just cracked corn and sugar, cooked for awhile then put in the fermenter. It's doing something, but smells different. Any advice? Hope it isn't just spoiling.
        • Jim Graves
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 5, 2013
            Had you put some malt into it, you would have sour mash mix.  What you got now is corn flavored sugar wash which will taste bad thru a pot still, in a reflux you can get the off taste out.

            I read some place that you could make a mash with just cracked corn and sugar, cooked for awhile then put in the fermenter. It's doing something, but smells different. Any advice? Hope it isn't just spoiling.

          • RLB
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 5, 2013
              DAP and yeast might be faster, but you need enzymes to break the corn starch into sugar.

              What they might have done is to malt the corn and grind some of that to uses as a yeast like substitute, but you still need nitrogen to feed your yeast.  If you wait awhile yeast will die and finally prove food for yeast to grow.  That process is doable but painfully slow.

              Robert

              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 6, 2013
                Thanks for the advice, I haven't learned to malt the corn yet, but I hope too.

                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Jim Graves <jimbull34@...> wrote:

                > Had you put some malt into it, you would have sour mash mix.  What you got now is corn flavored sugar wash which will taste bad thru a pot still, in a reflux you can get the off taste out.

              • local yokel
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 6, 2013
                  I would disagree with your opinion of what is basically a version of UJSSM recipe from Home Distiller's site. It makes a very nice "whiskey" and ages into an exceptional drink in a year on oak sticks. The corn flavor comes through very nicely on a pot still and is an easy recipe to follow. That assumes you want a corn flavor, not a vodka type spirit. It is a sugarwash with corn acting as a nutrient source and flavoring adjunct, not a converted mash.