New Still - Part 1

  • -
    Message 1 of 1 , May 31, 2002
      Hi all, I'm a home winemaker and brewer for the past
      35 years, the last twenty or so my brewing has been
      all grain.
      I picked up a 5l copper still with the "onion neck"
      design, in Portugal a couple of years ago. It works
      not too badly, but it was neither big enough or
      efficient enough to do what I wanted. After having
      read the postings for quite some time, I decided to
      build my own. (they are not commercially available
      where I live).

      Based in part on the information that I gathered and
      my own preferences, I had formed some opinions as to
      what I wanted.

      1. I wanted a still that could function as a reflux or
      as a pot still. This meant that in addition to being
      able to remove the packing from the column, I had to
      be able to operate the system without any reflux while
      maintaining a flow of water to the condenser.

      2. There had to be an efficient method of mounting the
      column to the Keg, which I wanted to be well sealed,
      yet allow sufficient room for my arm to clean the
      inside.

      3. I wanted greater control of the reflux,
      independently of the flow of the condenser cooling
      water and I did not like the style of still which had
      the condenser water supply running through two
      horizontal pipes mid-span in the column. I still (no
      pun) can't see the logic in that!

      So, for point two, I used a 50l stainless keg, with 4"
      hole cut in the top and a 6 1/2" flange welded on. For
      the column, I was able to find a machined stainless
      slip-on flange designed for industrial use. This was
      silver soldered to a 1M x 50mm column. The column is
      secured to the keg with 6 - 1/4" stainless bolts and a
      1/4" hypalon gasket.

      See jpgs below.