Re: [new_distillers] Re: Whiskey

  • grandview06 tds.net
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 4, 2011
      Thanks JB

      Do you need the flavoring or can you do it with oak chips and glucose?

      On 4/4/11, jamesonbeam1 <jamesonbeam1@...> wrote:
      > Iker,
      >
      > There are plenty of different essences around for flavoring vodka. They
      > use them a great deal in New Zealand. Not sure about a "decent" whiskey
      > though. Google "liquor flavoring essences" and you will get all
      > different brands. Liquor Quik Essences has Jack Daniels flavors for
      > whiskey along with Jim Beam Bourbon. Have never tried them though.
      >
      > JB. aka Waldo.
      >
      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Iker" <Grandview06@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> Is it possible to make a decent whiskey from a neutral spirit or mabe
      > a brandy I would like to do more with it then just making a vodka.
      >>
      >> Thanks

    • The Piro
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 5, 2011
        I was never overly impressed with the Essences for Scottish whiskeys, but then I am a Scot.

        However the Essences for Irish and Canadian whiskies go down just fine and the lady of the house really goes for the Kentucky and Tennessee Bourbons made with Essences. Now crème de menthe made from Essence and served over ice is nice to sip in bed.

        Pyro

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 6, 2011
          You need to start off with a distillation that has flavors in it. A
          fruit fermentation and distillation will make brandy, grains for
          whiskey and molasses for rum. Glucose does not add any flavors and the
          yeast will only convert it to alcohol. Oak chips for aging will give
          the distillation color and add some vanillian and oaken flavors to it
          along with smoothing out your distillation over a period of time.

          Now another option to using flavoring essences, is to take your neutral
          alcohol and macerate it with fruits or botanicals/herbs and then
          redistill. This is the way gin and some schnapps are made.

          Experimenting is one of the joys of this hobby. Sometimes you screw up,
          but sometimes you get something out that people will exclaim "Wow -
          Where have ya been hidding this?"....

          JB. aka Waldo.