Re: [new_distillers] Re: Whiskey

  • Adam Fordham
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 4, 2011

      I've tried some of the prestige brand and didn't like any of the whiskey or Bourbon flavors. The Irish cream was good though.

      Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 4, 2011
        Have you ever tried the Liquor Quik Essences? Thought I heard some good things about them.

        JB.

      • Adam Fordham
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 4, 2011

          I probably did. I tried allot of them before I started using grain.....grains a pain but even my first attempt using corn produced a nicer better taste. I can say the mile high labled Irish cream tasted better than the other brands. And the prestige chocolate mint is pretty good too. The mint flavor kinda works with harsh sugar vodka lol.

          Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

          Have you ever tried the Liquor Quik Essences? Thought I heard some good things about them.

          JB.

        • grandview06 tds.net
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 4, 2011
            Thanks JB

            Do you need the flavoring or can you do it with oak chips and glucose?

            On 4/4/11, jamesonbeam1 <jamesonbeam1@...> wrote:
            > Iker,
            >
            > There are plenty of different essences around for flavoring vodka. They
            > use them a great deal in New Zealand. Not sure about a "decent" whiskey
            > though. Google "liquor flavoring essences" and you will get all
            > different brands. Liquor Quik Essences has Jack Daniels flavors for
            > whiskey along with Jim Beam Bourbon. Have never tried them though.
            >
            > JB. aka Waldo.
            >
            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Iker" <Grandview06@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> Is it possible to make a decent whiskey from a neutral spirit or mabe
            > a brandy I would like to do more with it then just making a vodka.
            >>
            >> Thanks

          • The Piro
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 5, 2011
              I was never overly impressed with the Essences for Scottish whiskeys, but then I am a Scot.

              However the Essences for Irish and Canadian whiskies go down just fine and the lady of the house really goes for the Kentucky and Tennessee Bourbons made with Essences. Now crème de menthe made from Essence and served over ice is nice to sip in bed.

              Pyro

              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 6, 2011
                You need to start off with a distillation that has flavors in it. A
                fruit fermentation and distillation will make brandy, grains for
                whiskey and molasses for rum. Glucose does not add any flavors and the
                yeast will only convert it to alcohol. Oak chips for aging will give
                the distillation color and add some vanillian and oaken flavors to it
                along with smoothing out your distillation over a period of time.

                Now another option to using flavoring essences, is to take your neutral
                alcohol and macerate it with fruits or botanicals/herbs and then
                redistill. This is the way gin and some schnapps are made.

                Experimenting is one of the joys of this hobby. Sometimes you screw up,
                but sometimes you get something out that people will exclaim "Wow -
                Where have ya been hidding this?"....

                JB. aka Waldo.