Re: using raw water

  • bravo
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 4 10:13 AM
      ok
      i was reading and they say that there are 2 other ways that this can be done
      1st buy a uv light sterilizer which your water pass through before reaching the fermentors

      2nd is to use a ozoniser
      i think this might not be the best idea since ozoniser makes the water 03 correct me if im wrong please
      03 will kill even the yeast

      if anybody out there have used it then i welcome yor feedback
      i just want to eliminate the need to rely on importing bags of chemicals every 3 or 6 months
      thanks waldo for the advise
      bossy

      > Bravo,
      >
      > You can kill any nasties in both the water and on you mango fruits using
      > potassium or sodium metabisulfite, which is a chemical added to the
      > fermentation a day before the yeast is added. This produces SO2 gas
      > which will kill any bacterial. It is used extensively in the wine
      > industry for sterilizing a fermentation. I believe potassium
      > metabisulfite is the preferred one to use.
      >
      > Add this to your fermentation before you add your yeast and wait 24
      > hours or so for the sulfer dioxide gas to escape before adding yeast.
      >
      > JB. aka Waldo.
      >
      > Wine
      > Potassium metabisulfite is a common wine
      > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wine> or must
      > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Must> additive, in which it forms sulfur
      > dioxide gas (SO2). This both prevents most wild microorganisms
      > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microorganism> from growing, and it acts
      > as a potent antioxidant <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antioxidant> ,
      > protecting both the color and delicate flavors of wine.
      >
      > The typical dosage is 1/4 tsp potassium metabisulfite per six-gallon
      > bucket of must (yielding roughly 75 ppm of SO2) prior to fermentation;
      > then 1/2 tsp per six-gallon bucket (150 ppm of SO2) at bottling.
      >
      > Winemaking equipment is sanitized by spraying with a 1% SO2 (2 tsp
      > potassium metabisulfite per L) solution.
      > Beer
      > Potassium metabisulfite is sometimes used in the brewing
      > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brewing> industry to inhibit the growth
      > of wild yeasts <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yeast> , bacteria
      > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacteria> , and fungi
      > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fungi> . This is called 'stabilizing'. It
      > is also used to neutralize chloramine
      > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chloramine> that has been added to tap
      > water at the source as a disinfectant. It is used both by homebrewers
      > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homebrewing> and commercial brewers
      > alike. It is not used as much for brewing beer
      > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beer> , because the wort
      > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wort_%28brewing%29> is almost always
      > boiled, which kills most microorganisms anyway. It can also be added to
      > strike water (the water used to mash the barley) in order to remove
      > chloramines which can cause phenolic off flavors in beer.
      >

      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "bravo" <bravoseychelles@>
      > wrote:
      > >

      > > thanks guys,
      > > i havedone a water test,
      > > there are some nasties in there
      > > but the norm nasties
      > > only wanted to know if those nasties would do like the yeast and
      > explode in numbers when they see all the sex going on next to them
      > > lol
      > > the chemical contents are ok where metal is concern
      > > thanks for the reply
      > > if any body has some info about microbes reaction in a ferment
> [...]
    • squirrelliquer
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 4 12:58 PM
        Please don't beat me up about this as it's a thought and I'm a beginner. Please correct me if I am wrong though. Years ago there was no way to test water other than location and plants around a well,creek,or any other type of water source. People used to use untreated water to make their whiskey and find out what water source tasted or worked the best. When they found good water they would stick to it and I think some distilleries and beer makers still do. If you have the time, resources, and patience to make several small batches from several sources, one batch using chemicals, and using the identical recipe to find out what works and tastes best. Almost like starting completely over I know.

> [...]
        > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wort_%28brewing%29> is almost always
        > boiled, which kills most microorganisms anyway. It can also be added to
        > strike water (the water used to mash the barley) in order to remove
        > chloramines which can cause phenolic off flavors in beer.
        >

        > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "bravo" <bravoseychelles@>
        > wrote:
        > >

        > > thanks guys,
        > > i havedone a water test,
        > > there are some nasties in there
        > > but the norm nasties
        > > only wanted to know if those nasties would do like the yeast and
        > explode in numbers when they see all the sex going on next to them
        > > lol
        > > the chemical contents are ok where metal is concern
        > > thanks for the reply
        > > if any body has some info about microbes reaction in a ferment

      • JP
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 5 6:52 AM
          Is boiling the raw water, say in your still, in order to kill "nasties" an option? Or would this remove other desirable features of the water?

          Uses fuel obviously.

          I don't know. Just a thought if you are worried about fecals and such...

          What about distilling the water through your still. Maybe throwing-out the last 20% or something.

          JP

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "squirrelliquer" <squirrelliquer@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wort_%28brewing%29> is almost always
          > > boiled, which kills most microorganisms anyway. It can also be added to
          > > strike water (the water used to mash the barley) in order to remove
          > > chloramines which can cause phenolic off flavors in beer.
          > >

          > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "bravo" <bravoseychelles@>
          > > wrote:
          > > >

          > > > thanks guys,
          > > > i havedone a water test,
          > > > there are some nasties in there
          > > > but the norm nasties
          > > > only wanted to know if those nasties would do like the yeast and
          > > explode in numbers when they see all the sex going on next to them
          > > > lol
          > > > the chemical contents are ok where metal is concern
          > > > thanks for the reply
          > > > if any body has some info about microbes reaction in a ferment

        • bruich44
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 5 7:40 AM
            > > > there are some nasties in there
            > > > but the norm nasties

            I'm very curious what normal nasties are? Here, normal nasties is arsenic. A $200 basic 5-stage, under the counter RO filter completely removes this, and we live off our RO as our sole drinking source.

            I'm also curious what source you tested your water from. Unless you're confident you have a clean tap and your water is truly bad, I'd find the cleanest-looking faucet or spigot on your property, then give it a thorough cleaning with bleach and a tooth brush, taking it apart if possible. Put it back together, run some water out of it, then take another sample and re-test.

            You'd be surprised how many tests fail due to a dirty aerator on a faucet instead of bacteria in the actual source water.

            And if you do have a dirty well, you may want to do a bleach cleaning of that and your water lines too. Do a web search on how. It will save you money on chemicals in the long run.

            -b
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 6 4:00 AM
              Hi JP,

              Yes, both boiling and distilling your water will kill any bacteria that
              may infect your fermentation. Distilled water will produce some of the
              purest water.

              However, the desirable feature you will lose with both these options is
              the available oxygen in it that the yeast need to grow their colony
              during the exponential growth phase. You can overcome this problem by
              aerating it with a pump and stone for about 6 hours.

              As Squirrel mentioned, commercial distilleries still use the natural
              waters around. The limestone waters in Kentucky and the peat flavored
              waters in Scotland give Bourbons and Scotch some of their character.
              While they used it in its natural state in the past, now they purify it
              by reverse osmosis which is a method of filtering the water thru very
              fine filters that only allow the water molecules to pass through them.

              This is another option that Bossy might want to consider.

              JB. aka Waldo.