Whiskey

  • Iker
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 4 6:28 AM
      Is it possible to make a decent whiskey from a neutral spirit or mabe a brandy I would like to do more with it then just making a vodka.

      Thanks
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 4 2:53 PM
        Iker,

        There are plenty of different essences around for flavoring vodka. They
        use them a great deal in New Zealand. Not sure about a "decent" whiskey
        though. Google "liquor flavoring essences" and you will get all
        different brands. Liquor Quik Essences has Jack Daniels flavors for
        whiskey along with Jim Beam Bourbon. Have never tried them though.

        JB. aka Waldo.

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Iker" <Grandview06@...> wrote:

        > Is it possible to make a decent whiskey from a neutral spirit or mabe
        a brandy I would like to do more with it then just making a vodka.

        > Thanks

      • Adam Fordham
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 4 4:02 PM

          I've tried some of the prestige brand and didn't like any of the whiskey or Bourbon flavors. The Irish cream was good though.

          Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 4 4:10 PM
            Have you ever tried the Liquor Quik Essences? Thought I heard some good things about them.

            JB.

          • Adam Fordham
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 4 4:58 PM

              I probably did. I tried allot of them before I started using grain.....grains a pain but even my first attempt using corn produced a nicer better taste. I can say the mile high labled Irish cream tasted better than the other brands. And the prestige chocolate mint is pretty good too. The mint flavor kinda works with harsh sugar vodka lol.

              Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

              Have you ever tried the Liquor Quik Essences? Thought I heard some good things about them.

              JB.

            • grandview06 tds.net
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 4 5:18 PM
                Thanks JB

                Do you need the flavoring or can you do it with oak chips and glucose?

                On 4/4/11, jamesonbeam1 <jamesonbeam1@...> wrote:
                > Iker,
                >
                > There are plenty of different essences around for flavoring vodka. They
                > use them a great deal in New Zealand. Not sure about a "decent" whiskey
                > though. Google "liquor flavoring essences" and you will get all
                > different brands. Liquor Quik Essences has Jack Daniels flavors for
                > whiskey along with Jim Beam Bourbon. Have never tried them though.
                >
                > JB. aka Waldo.
                >
                > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Iker" <Grandview06@...> wrote:
                >>
                >> Is it possible to make a decent whiskey from a neutral spirit or mabe
                > a brandy I would like to do more with it then just making a vodka.
                >>
                >> Thanks

              • The Piro
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 5 12:42 AM
                  I was never overly impressed with the Essences for Scottish whiskeys, but then I am a Scot.

                  However the Essences for Irish and Canadian whiskies go down just fine and the lady of the house really goes for the Kentucky and Tennessee Bourbons made with Essences. Now crème de menthe made from Essence and served over ice is nice to sip in bed.

                  Pyro

                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 6 3:35 AM
                    You need to start off with a distillation that has flavors in it. A
                    fruit fermentation and distillation will make brandy, grains for
                    whiskey and molasses for rum. Glucose does not add any flavors and the
                    yeast will only convert it to alcohol. Oak chips for aging will give
                    the distillation color and add some vanillian and oaken flavors to it
                    along with smoothing out your distillation over a period of time.

                    Now another option to using flavoring essences, is to take your neutral
                    alcohol and macerate it with fruits or botanicals/herbs and then
                    redistill. This is the way gin and some schnapps are made.

                    Experimenting is one of the joys of this hobby. Sometimes you screw up,
                    but sometimes you get something out that people will exclaim "Wow -
                    Where have ya been hidding this?"....

                    JB. aka Waldo.