Re: [new_distillers] Corn mash

  • Ric Cunningham
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 3, 2011
      Corn does not have enough enzymes to convert starch to sugar. A source of enzymes must be added to the mash. Either a Amylase powder or 6 row malted barley will work. Using creamed corn from a can may not be a good idea. Look at the can label and see what all the ingredient are. If it is just corn water and salt then no problem. Do some research on a 'Cereal Mash' to see how to mash corn with barley. You need to gelatinize the corn before conversion.

      On Sat, Apr 2, 2011 at 1:29 AM, virgil hoskins <varminteater2003@...> wrote:

      I started my drive for information after running across a link to youtube,,
      just type in moonshine in the search bar, and see what others have uploaded
      To share,,But,, I have not read or heard of cutting corn right off the cob,
      And right into a mash,, If anyone does find out the information and it worked
      I`d have to say i`ll be mixxing cans of CREAM CORN with with my corn meal
      to experiment with,, hows that for a thought?
      Virgil

      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 3, 2011
        So corn does not need to be malted like barley, you grind it add the
        Amylase powder and mash like you would barley?

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 4, 2011
          You still need to boil the corn as in a cereal mash to gelatinize the grain. If it is not gelatinized then the starch is not available for the enzyme to convert it. Boil for 10 to 15 minutes then lower the temperature to 150F and add the enzyme. Wait 1 hour and you should be ready to go.