RE: [new_distillers] oak

  • ben marks
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 2, 2011
      hi
      what i do when i am making whiskey is to take some oak chips and fill a qt jar with them and fill it with whiskey and let it sit for a few months becouse there is so mutch serfacs area that qt of oak extract will "oak" about 3 gallons of whiskey  but if your are adding flavorings why oak at all does not the flavorings have the oak flavor in it allready?

      ________________________________

        Whiskey is What Beer Wants to Be When it Grows Up

      ______________________

      Your Car is German. Your Vodka is Russian. Your Pizza Italian. Your
      Kebab is Turkish. Your Democracy is Greek. Your Coffee Brazilian.
      Your Movies are American. Your Tea is Chinese
      . Your Shirt is Mexican.
      Your Oil is Saudi Arabian. Your Electronics are Japanese. Your Numbers  are

      Arabic, Your Letters are Latin. Your Cocaine is Colombian. And you
      Complain that your Neighbor is an Immigrant?

      To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
      From: bardymcc@...
      Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2011 01:50:53 +0000
      Subject: [new_distillers] oak

      I have aquired some oak. If i want to age in oak, do I add this to the raw neutral spirit or after the flavouring is added. Or at which stage does anyone suggest

      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 6, 2011
        Another thing about oak chips is you need to brown them by either toasting  in the oven or use direct fire to give them a char.   There are 4 levels of char with Alligator char being the heaviest char and produces the most flavors and color.  See Chart below.

        JB. aka Waldo.