oak

  • BARDY
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1, 2011
      I have aquired some oak. If i want to age in oak, do I add this to the raw neutral spirit or after the flavouring is added. Or at which stage does anyone suggest
    • ben marks
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 2, 2011
        hi
        what i do when i am making whiskey is to take some oak chips and fill a qt jar with them and fill it with whiskey and let it sit for a few months becouse there is so mutch serfacs area that qt of oak extract will "oak" about 3 gallons of whiskey  but if your are adding flavorings why oak at all does not the flavorings have the oak flavor in it allready?

        ________________________________

          Whiskey is What Beer Wants to Be When it Grows Up

        ______________________

        Your Car is German. Your Vodka is Russian. Your Pizza Italian. Your
        Kebab is Turkish. Your Democracy is Greek. Your Coffee Brazilian.
        Your Movies are American. Your Tea is Chinese
        . Your Shirt is Mexican.
        Your Oil is Saudi Arabian. Your Electronics are Japanese. Your Numbers  are

        Arabic, Your Letters are Latin. Your Cocaine is Colombian. And you
        Complain that your Neighbor is an Immigrant?

        To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
        From: bardymcc@...
        Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2011 01:50:53 +0000
        Subject: [new_distillers] oak

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 6, 2011
          Another thing about oak chips is you need to brown them by either toasting  in the oven or use direct fire to give them a char.   There are 4 levels of char with Alligator char being the heaviest char and produces the most flavors and color.  See Chart below.

          JB. aka Waldo.