Re: fermenting 600 litres plus

  • bravo
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1, 2011
      hey waldo
      yes i will be botteling and selling.
      but it will be more of a new taste. no aging at this stage.
      i know it makes it better but im small scale im thinking 100 l a day
      for now
      as soon as i have pics of the new still i will share it with u .
      yes i will be stirring for first 24 hours
      about the heat control i have nor think much about that
      maybe i shouls lol
      i was thinking about stainless steel fermentors
      but i was shock at the cost
      could build a nice house lol
      i think for now i will be fiberglass water tanks
      what do u think any cons for that.i think on the heat exchange side it might heat up more or correct me.
      but all the rest will be stainlesss for the botteling and so on
      the still will be copper made in south africa
      if u have any good links that i can read up i would appreciate
      thanks again
      louis

      > Another thing Bossy,
      >
      > For large fermentations, they also use stirrers that keep the
      > fermentation in continuous motion.. If I remember right, you have a
      > commercial rum distillery in the Seychelles Islands - you should pay
      > them a visit and watch their operation - get some insight on a large
      > operation....
      >
      > JB.
      >
      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jamesonbeam1" <jamesonbeam1@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > 600 Liters hey?
      > >
      > > Hope you bought a larger still then that little alembic you have lol.
      > > As long as you add sufficient nutrients and yeast, it really should
      > > ferment about the same. If you think how the commercial guys do it -
      > > fermenting 1000s of gallons at a time, the whiskey makers here do that
      > > in less then 5 days. Just think large scale - what type of fermenter
      > > are you using for that much? The commercial distillers have cooling
      > > pipes running through their fermenters - you may also have to think
      > > about that.
      > >
      > > So Bossy, with your license are you planning on bottling your product
      > > and selling it commercially?
      > >
      > > JB. aka Waldo.
      > >

      > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "bravo" bravoseychelles@
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > hi there my good friends
      > > > as i move to ferment bigger mashes
      > > > before i make a expensive mistakes
      > > > would a 600plus liter ferment behave same a a 200liter mash
      > > >
      > > > would u add naything special
      > > > thanks for the advise

    • landrover_ffr
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 2, 2011
        Hi again Bravo,
        Like you I've been a bit hesitant to scale up over 200 litre ferments.
        The three thinks that spring to mind are;
        1) Heat. Might need a cooling coil but depends on abient temp and vessel. You can get some idea of the heat generated from the yeast makers. Check out the information on the Lammond website (might be getting a bit too technical)
        2) Stirring. Easy to do and will make a big difference as you will have far less surface area to volume ratio.
        3) CO2 output. Having a few 600 litre bres working flat out in you garage could start to become a real problem.

        Hope this helps,
        Sid.

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "bravo" <bravoseychelles@...> wrote:

        > hi there my good friends
        > as i move to ferment bigger mashes
        > before i make a expensive mistakes
        > would a 600plus liter ferment behave same a a 200liter mash
        >
        > would u add naything special
        > thanks for the advise

      • geoff burrows
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 2, 2011
          Hi bravo (or is that Bossy I like that better),
               Pump the Co2 into an ajoining greenhouse with barley in.  I know mushrooms love it.  They love co2 and grow like blazes in mushroom houses with the mushroom house heating boiler exhausting and diverted back into the mushroom tunnel.  When your barley has big  nice big and ripe grains use it for your next barley wash.  Why waste it the co2?
          Geoff