Corn mash

  • Iker
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 1, 2011
      I have been searching the internet for info on mashing corn for distilling with no luck.
      Does corn need to be malted like barley or can it be ground up and mashed right off the cob?
      Can someone poing me in the right direction to a book or website?

      Thanks
    • virgil hoskins
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 2, 2011
        I started my drive for information after running across a link to youtube,,
        just type in moonshine in the search bar, and see what others have uploaded
        To share,,But,, I have not read or heard of cutting corn right off the cob,
        And right into a mash,, If anyone does find out the information and it worked
        I`d have to say i`ll be mixxing cans of CREAM CORN with with my corn meal
        to experiment with,, hows that for a thought?
        Virgil

          --
          If you can make macaroni and cheese from a box, you can make a great beer.
        • grandview06 tds.net
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 3, 2011
            So corn does not need to be malted like barley, you grind it add the
            Amylase powder and mash like you would barley?

            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 4, 2011
              You still need to boil the corn as in a cereal mash to gelatinize the grain. If it is not gelatinized then the starch is not available for the enzyme to convert it. Boil for 10 to 15 minutes then lower the temperature to 150F and add the enzyme. Wait 1 hour and you should be ready to go.