Re: Holy Rocket ship!!!!

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 29, 2011
      Welp Thomas,

      Case and point of why I have been saying not to use air locks on a primary fermentation.  A garbage bag tied around the fermenter with pin holes in it works just as well to keep it from air and critters.  Some Turbo yeast manufacturers say the same thing.

      Below is a picture from Pint O Shine that shows the same thing along with a recipe for DWWG.  Tis alwys a good idea to leave 25 to 30% head room in your primary fermenter and ideally use a plastic cylinder type shape - not a glass flask that come to a small opening.

      JB. aka Waldo.

      We learned to not put anything in the way of a vapor lock on the carboy. It will literally come out of the fermenter explosively.
      I have heard it described as projectile vomitting.
      This is an easy recipe.
      For 40 liters (10.6Gallons)  you would use:
      about 10kg sugar(20lbs)
      1.5 kg wheat germ. I use toasted because it tastes good.
      15g or 2 tsp citric acid
      Fill to 40 liters dissolving sugar as you go.