burnt product

  • squirrelliquer
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 28, 2011
      I just found out what burnt liquer tastes like. Tried running thru a cabon water filter. Mellowed it out a lot but still has a bit of smell and taste. Any suggestions?
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 28, 2011
        Try re-dilluting and re-distill.

        JB. aka Waldo.

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "squirrelliquer"
        <squirrelliquer@...> wrote:

        > I just found out what burnt liquer tastes like. Tried running thru a
        cabon water filter. Mellowed it out a lot but still has a bit of smell
        and taste. Any suggestions?

      • Ellie Mae
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 31, 2011
          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "squirrelliquer" <squirrelliquer@...> wrote:

          > I just found out what burnt liquer tastes like. Tried running thru a cabon water filter. Mellowed it out a lot but still has a bit of smell and taste. Any suggestions?

          I've read an old time excerpt that states you can add a little olive oil
          agitate well & then decant the ethanol off, supposedly the olive oil bonds with and holds fusels

          Another remedy that involves redistill is to take a small amount of chlorine saturated h20 and add to the ethanol, agaitate & let sit overnight, then take h20 saturated with chalk agitate, rest and redestill.

          I can look up the exact instructions for the latter but, it's for barrel sized proportions. It doesn't take a lot I think it was a gallon of the chlorine saturated water and another gallon of the chalk saturated water to a 55 gal batch
        • squirrelliquer
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 31, 2011
            Ellie thank you. I am going to suffer through this batch as a reminder of what not to do. You don't have to but it would be nice to have info like that for a future reference. I just finished my 3rd run and has been the best by far.