Distilling sugar wash

  • Iker
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 23 10:08 AM
      I just read an artical about diluting a wash before distilling it.
      I have 5 gallons of wash that should be about 20%
      Should I dilute this before distilling?
      Should I do a striping run first or make my cuts on the first run?

      Thanks, Lloyd
    • Shot Man
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 23 2:03 PM
        Hi Lloyd,
        I only dilute if my spirit is above30% or 35% for safety and for a cleaner spirit run as discussed here before. Running a 2nd time depends on what type of still you use and what you are making. I use a pot still so run all mine twice.
        Have a good one,
        shotman

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 23 2:52 PM
          Definitely don't dilute, you,ve already spent time and money getting to the 20% level.Depending on your still I would do a stripping run first and get it to 40-60%, then distil and do the cuts. I distil around 50% level and get very clean spirit with no need to carbon filter. I take around 20% heads and 20% tails giving me 60% clean spirit at 94-95%
          Dave E