The attack of the ever growing cap

  • brzdistiller
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 22, 2011
      Hey folks,

      This week two mashes really acted up on me (one strawberry the other watermelon- 17L each).

      The watermelon grew and became a stick blob and escaped from the bucket to conquer the world. Huge huge mess. One of the stickiest things I ever saw. 80% of this mash escaped from the bucket (No exaggeration).
      You can imagine what my floor looks like.

      The strawberry mash died and we added more sugar (2 kg). After it was reanimated, a large cap about 30% of the bucket keeps growing and growing, trying to spill all the time. Even a few minutes after we stir it back.

      Seems like the CO2 is not being able to pass thru the cap.

      Any insights on whys or how to stop this from happening?

      I´m starting to feel like this movie is actually true: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE6Z1nBqLwo

      Cheers,

      TH
    • JD Willemsen
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 22, 2011
        whahahaha , i love it.

        my first guess is your fermentors are infected.
        the other is to much nutrients. which neither of both can be dealt
        putt it in the shower and let it go, maybe some can be saved .

        in anyway the yeast likes it . if it isnt done in 3 to 4 days it probably is infected.

        infected meaning with the bacteria that eats the yeast but i guess you knew that already

        Greetz

        JD

        maybe stick something trough the cap ( sanatized offcourse ) so there is a whole in the cap and Co2 can escape