SUGAR WASH COLOR

  • adam
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 17, 2011
      I stripped a sugar wash and notice that the distilat (my spelling is awful) is very slightly yellowed. Its only noticeable when next to another jar of stripped wash from an earlier and seperate wash. Anyone know if different enviromental factors would cause this? Doesn't taste scorched and the wash was bitter so i don't think suar caused it. I'm going to run it through a reflux still for my final run so it will probably go away but i was curious if maybe the yeast made something that affected the color.
    • Gavin Flett
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 19, 2011
        I had one like that once, but it was the result of my heat source being set too high, so it didn't allow for enough reflux action therefore there was no separation of alcohol from the wash. I believe it is referred to as 'puking'. Did you have the heat right up there?

        To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
        From: bluwater2828@...
        Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 17:16:32 +0000
        Subject: [new_distillers] SUGAR WASH COLOR

        I stripped a sugar wash and notice that the distilat (my spelling is awful) is very slightly yellowed. Its only noticeable when next to another jar of stripped wash from an earlier and seperate wash. Anyone know if different enviromental factors would cause this? Doesn't taste scorched and the wash was bitter so i don't think suar caused it. I'm going to run it through a reflux still for my final run so it will probably go away but i was curious if maybe the yeast made something that affected the color.

      • Adam Fordham
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 19, 2011

          That is possibly the cause. The stripped distillate tested around 60abv. After doing my spirit run everything was clear.

          Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

          To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
          From: bluwater2828@...
          Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 17:16:32 +0000