Advice on a wheat mash

  • measelbrad
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 14, 2011
      I started a wheat mash using 9 lb of wheat malt, 2 lb distillers malt, and 6 gal. water. i started cooking slowly up to 160 degrees. i got a good iodine test after 1 hour and 40 minutes. OG reading 1.041. i pitched 2 tbsp distillamax DS @ 100 degrees. 56 hours later SG of 1.009.

      this seems like a very quick ferment.
      I'd love some input on wheat malt,distillers malt, and pitch rate.
      Any thoughts?

      Thanks a million,
      Brad
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 14, 2011
        1.041 is very low for a mash. I'm not surprised it finished in 2 days. Most here would aim for a 1.06 - 1.1 to make potential ethanol yields worthwhile. However, I don't do grain mashes so someone else may tell you more useful info.

        ==============

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "measelbrad" <bradmeasel@...> wrote:

        > I started a wheat mash using 9 lb of wheat malt, 2 lb distillers malt, and 6 gal. water. i started cooking slowly up to 160 degrees. i got a good iodine test after 1 hour and 40 minutes. OG reading 1.041. i pitched 2 tbsp distillamax DS @ 100 degrees. 56 hours later SG of 1.009.
        >
        > this seems like a very quick ferment.
        > I'd love some input on wheat malt,distillers malt, and pitch rate.
        > Any thoughts?
        >
        > Thanks a million,
        > Brad

      • JD Willemsen
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 15, 2011
          it would make a very nice whiskey.

          have tried once a little while.

          non ore light peated malt.
          about 2 ore 3 parts
          and then 8/7 parts of wheat.

          grains about 2 and half pound to a gallon.

          cooking mash offcourse. ;)

          i used bottom fermenting yeast.

          stripping once
          running once ore twice its to your liking.

          sour mash improves to taste .

          mill closed down so i could get wheat for the low price anymore .

          malted barley came from beer/wine shop

          JD