Re: Comments on batches: Pineapple and Peach

  • brzdistiller
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 12, 2011

      Just wanted to give some update on these mashes after distillation.

      The pineapple:

      It turned out absolutely horrific. Nasty. Undrinkable!!

      More than 50% of what we collected seemed to be foreshots.

      No joking. More than half of the distillate smells like acetone and solvents.

      The rest is not great either but we kept it to try a second distillation whenever we ferment pineapples again.

      After 60% collection the smell of acetone diminished and great sweet pineapple notes where there, but it's still pretty ruff.

      I read somewhere later that using the pineapple skins on the fermentation could result in more solvent like characteristics.

      Since our mash was about 80% skins I'm not surprised by our results.

      Can anyone comment on that?

      The peach:

      I was very very impressed by this batch. It smells and tastes amazing, on the contrary of what I expected.

      Definitely a keeper.

      This was the first time we distill our own mashes. It was overall a great learning experience. Cant wait to do it some more.

      Cheers,

      TH