First run on a still

  • Iker
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 11, 2011
      We finished our reflu still today and did a water run, it was filthy.
      Should we keep running water through it till its clean or is there a cleaner we could run?

      Also I read that you should time how long it takes to produce 250ML, it took 12 minutes. I'm not sure what to do with that information, is it good, bad or average?

      On the plans for the still it didn't show a cover on the 3 copper where the cooling coil is and it steamed out the whole time. Should it do that?

      Lloyd
    • crsound
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 12, 2011
        Gentlemen I do not know what design your running, but any vapor lost Is booze, other wise the general thing on a new still run is once with water, and then once with vinegar and water, then a flush or 2 with water. the vinegar & Water gets the slag out.
        If you have leaks don't waste your product and clear those first.
        Then try some cheap wine,
        Over The Rain N' Down The Hatch,
        CRSound

        We finished our reflu still today and did a water run, it was filthy.
        Should we keep running water through it till its clean or is there a cleaner we could run?

        On the plans for the still it didn't show a cover on the 3 copper where the cooling coil is and it steamed out the whole time. Should it do that?
      • bigdaddyg851
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 13, 2011
          i don't think you better cover that 3inch condenser tube . you will probably blow the dang still .what you want to do is throw a couple pot scrubbers in the condenser .

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "crsound" <crsound@...> wrote:

          > Gentlemen I do not know what design your running, but any vapor lost Is booze, other wise the general thing on a new still run is once with water, and then once with vinegar and water, then a flush or 2 with water. the vinegar & Water gets the slag out.
          > If you have leaks don't waste your product and clear those first.
          > Then try some cheap wine,
          > Over The Rain N' Down The Hatch,
          > CRSound
          >

          > We finished our reflu still today and did a water run, it was filthy.
          > Should we keep running water through it till its clean or is there a cleaner we could run?
          >
          > On the plans for the still it didn't show a cover on the 3 copper where the cooling coil is and it steamed out the whole time. Should it do that?

        • rosnekcaj
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 14, 2011
            There should be no vapor escaping. Do not cap it off. You need more cooling in your condenser. Alternatively you can cut your heat back. The takeoff rate should be no more than about 12 ml/min. For the best quality keep it slow.

            After you get to the point of shutting down close the takeoff valve and let it cook for 1/2 hour or so. This help clean out your column. Then remove the heat.

            rosnekcaj