'Copper' scourers (NOT!)

  • Dr. M. Legendre
    Message 1 of 1 , May 28, 2002
      Don't ever make the mistake of buying these (photo attached). They are
      clearly labeled 'Copper Scourers' but 'Copper Washed Mild Steel Scourers'
      is more accurate.

      I ran these in my reflux column - 2 runs. After the second run, I left the
      still set for a day (my bad) and when I went to break it down, all of the
      'Copper' scourers had turned to heaps of black (ferric) oxide. The ones
      nearest the bottom had the consistency of freeze-dried plant material,
      whereas the ones nearest the top still had a slight bit of structural
      integrity - but were still mostly black.

      I should have tested them first, they stick firmly to a magnet..! If these
      things are actually plated, they may have had a layer of zinc deposited
      atop the steel before the copper. Nasty, nasty, poorly labeled junk
      product. Beware.

      Switching to Chore Boy,

      -- Dr. M. Legendre