Re: [new_distillers] Making Cuts Depends on Product and What Tastes your Trying to Achieve

  • virgil hoskins
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 8 6:20 AM
      Good Morning JB,
      And group.
      Im home today , was at the ER all night with my girlfriend.
      Now i have been following along with the mixing of the yeast cap,
      And the 12 step numbered jars are a great thought, I was wondering if there
      Is a average of how many ounces to remove per gallon of mash?
      Im kind of aware that the mash can be a little different per run
      And taste would be the first hint of where to start the collection,
      is there a normal average like ,, 20 gallons of mash = 20 oz removed at the
      start of distilling?
      Next question on the mixing of the cap,, what temp should the mash be kept at
      To keep from killing the yeast ?
      Virgil.

      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 8 6:55 AM
        Morning Virgil,

        Nope, no normal average there when collecting . It really depends on
        how large your boiler is an how much your distilling. For example, if
        you have a 4 to 5 gallon boiler and expect around 1/2 gallon of product
        with additional feints, then i would collect about 300 ml. in each jar,
        ie. the bigger the boiler, collect accordingly.

        Now as far as fermenting temp, usually you should maintain your temps in
        the 70s F range to no more then low 80s F range. This is the average
        range for most yeast strains we use. The main danger here is if the
        yeast gets too hot, it starts to produce off-flavors and you run the
        risk of it dying and having a stuck fermentation. Matter of fact, heat
        is the number 1 reason for stuck fermentations. If the yeast gets too
        cold, say below 40 to 50 degrees, your fermentation will take forever to
        to complete.

        Best to keep around room temps.

        JB aka Waldo.

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, virgil hoskins