Re: We Can as a Group build a sheet for making cuts by starting product

    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 6, 2011
      OK Crsound and all Members:

      There are 2 new applications listed under the Application Heading on the left of this screen.  First is Common cuts for products where you can add the start and stop temps for the heads, hearts or middle run and tails and amount and other temperature information.

      Next there is a Recipe Folder, where now we can enter all our recipes and do not have to go through the Files section to find one.  Please try these out and see what you all think.  Let me know if you have any suggestions.

      JB. aka Waldo.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "crsound" <crsound@...> wrote:

      > Yo Boss You Go Man, your no amateur, you know what we need, if not refer to my sheet, Show us what ya got ?
      >
      > Thanks for the effort , I grew up with Wine, Beer, and whiskey makers, I know where to cut brandy but most just starting out do not. Most also are told run 6 gal of wine after your vinegar/water wash's If that would have been my dad's wine that had to be re run I would be mad as heck! We do need a solution.

    • crsound
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 8, 2011
        Swing and a Miss My Friend.

        Ok Nice but understand we need "One Sheet" that has all the up to date cuts, and the "WISE MEN'S" cuts from our group ?(+ Distillers)
        Hey I am a busy person but if you let me I will do this on a 4 week cycle, I am saying once a month lets up date the Site sheet with what the members (AND THE X PERTS) put in ? I have time to put into this !!! You Do Understand the "Wise Men" Will be very defined on there cut's , and most of us want that., we need a group to group sheet, cuz I think when we are done "Bob's You're Uncle" and they all want it to!!!
        Ok what I think , swing & miss try again, or let us who think tech is in your hand go,,
        CRSound Over The Rail ,N' let's all get over the TOP

        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 8, 2011
          Welp CR,

          I understand what your trying to do but dont think you'll get anywhere.  You can make up your spreadsheets and go to Advanced Distillers and ask them to fill in the numbers - think it will be easier if you just ask for the numbers and you keep track on your spreadsheets.

          However, (and yea thats a big comma or yea but;)), you will find that every distiller has their own idea about cuts and make the cuts for their own tastes and product type.  This is what makes our hobby so interesting and somewhat of an art.

          Making cut is about as individualistic as it comes here.  Much more individualistic then even the discussion on stirring we are having....   I would no more tell a fellow distiller at what temps to make their cuts then try to fly.  This is why some of us like ZB have taste testing parties, where friends help out in tasting and making the cuts.

          Each person has their own tastes.  You can try to do this if you want.  Good Luck.

          JB. aka Waldo.

          "Everyone to their own taste"  said the old lady as she kissed the cow......

          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 8, 2011
            Sidenote: Maybe Harry or others can shed some more light on this...

            JB aka Waldo

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jamesonbeam1" <jamesonbeam1@...>

            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 8, 2011
              Let me give everyone a outline of how some of the "advanced" distillers make their cuts when distilling the spirits run.

              First, get a case of mason jars - I use the 1 liter/quart size.  Label them from 1 to 12.

              As you start getting distillation out, throw away the foreshots if you havent already in the stripping run, and start collecting about 300 to 500 ml. or more  in each jar starting with jar #1 (this really depends on the size of your still and how much your distilling).

              Keep collecting till the distillate starts turning cloudy or your can tell by ABV or taste that you have reached the tails.  Put the rest in you feints jug.

              Cover jars and let stand for a day.

              Now comes the fun part.  Take  some out of each jar and dilute to 40% and taste.  If you like it, put it in your mixing jug, if not, put it in the recycle or feints jug.

              Tis much better then just trying to make a decision on when to make 3 cuts at the heads, middle run and tails and will give you much better control over the tastes of your final product.  You can even try having a taste testing party the way ZB does, but the first time I tried this, they drunk everything I had.....

              Just my opinion and a few other distillers too ;).

              JB aka Waldo

            • tgfoitwoods
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 8, 2011
                At the risk of being completely redundant, I agree 100% with absolutely everything Waldo says (and does, it looks like). Making cuts by taste is especially important to me, because I'm a "stiller of opportunity", and most years distill a lot of stuff I've never distilled before, so each run has to be treated as a whole different game, and the cuts will almost certainly be different from anything I've done before.

                Yes, I collect head temperature and %ABV on each of those mason-jar fractions Waldo talks about, but I never use those numbers to make cuts on the next batch of that exact same wash. I use them more as a teaching aid.

                To make it more complicated, I'm pretty sure most potstills will give different head temperature readings for the exact same point in the run, so my numbers would be useless to someone else.

                I'd never suppress information like we might get out of a group-spreadsheet on cuts data, but for actually producing fine spirit, listen closely to Bwana Jim. :D

                > Welp CR,
                >
                > I understand what your trying to do but dont think you'll get anywhere.
                > You can make up your spreadsheets and go to Advanced Distillers and ask
                > them to fill in the numbers - think it will be easier if you just ask
                > for the numbers and you keep track on your spreadsheets.
                >
                > However, (and yea thats a big comma or yea but [;)] ), you will find
                > that every distiller has their own idea about cuts and make the cuts for
                > their own tastes and product type. This is what makes our hobby so
                > interesting and somewhat of an art.
                >
                > Making cut is about as individualistic as it comes here. Much more
                > individualistic then even the discussion on stirring we are having....
                > I would no more tell a fellow distiller at what temps to make their cuts
                > then try to fly. This is why some of us like ZB have taste testing
                > parties, where friends help out in tasting and making the cuts.
                >
                > Each person has their own tastes. You can try to do this if you want.
                > Good Luck.
                >
                > JB. aka Waldo.
                >
                > "Everyone to their own taste" said the old lady as she kissed the
                > cow......

                ---snip---
              • missouri_bootlegger
                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 9, 2011
                  side note the college here in Missouri has a class in distilling brandy they dilute and age before making final cuts I have not tried this I was just reading about it the other day, just another way to make cuts
                  MB