Rotten eggs

  • JoeK
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 4, 2011
      Every 20 batches or so I get this smell. I started the fermentation yesterday. 3 gallons water, 7 cans frozen concentrated apple juice, 5 lbs sugar, yeast and nutrient. Should I just let it go or is there something i should do, like dump it, lol?
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 4, 2011
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "JoeK" <joeklaus313@...> wrote:

        > Every 20 batches or so I get this smell. I started the fermentation yesterday. 3 gallons water, 7 cans frozen concentrated apple juice, 5 lbs sugar, yeast and nutrient. Should I just let it go or is there something i should do, like dump it, lol?

        It's your water source. Causes, remedies etc here...

        http://www.uldrinkwell.com/drinkwell/rotten_egg_smell.html

      • bigdaddyg851
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 4, 2011
          thanks for the recipe , simple but true !

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "JoeK" <joeklaus313@...> wrote:

          > Every 20 batches or so I get this smell. I started the fermentation yesterday. 3 gallons water, 7 cans frozen concentrated apple juice, 5 lbs sugar, yeast and nutrient. Should I just let it go or is there something i should do, like dump it, lol?

        • Ric Cunningham
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 5, 2011
            Sulphur/ Rotten eggs are a common by product of many yeast strains. Not to worry. Let it ferment out and rest before running. most of the sulphur will off gas during the ferment, the rest will be taken back up by the yeast.

            --
            If you can make macaroni and cheese from a box, you can make a great beer.