Re: for the money

    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 4, 2011
      It Really depends Measelbrad,

      Since backset is very acidic, you really should not use more then will
      bring your fermentation below around 4.5 pH. As a guideline, I
      recommend around 35% to 40% backset in a fermentation, but would like to
      hear what other distillers recommend. 9 days is a bit on the long side
      - let us know what your using.

      JB. aka Waldo.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "measelbrad" <bradmeasel@...>
      wrote:

      > How much backset do you use? i've not tried using backset yet, but i
      want to try. 9 days seems like a long ferment...is that typical?
      > Thanks,
      > Brad
    • crsound
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 4, 2011
        I use 40% and use a Turbo Rum Yeast and it Does Take 7 to 9 days, But come out at 17% or Better, Of course it's all Sugar from Cane & Mole ASSES, What does the last mole in the hole smell,, Mole Asses, Just My Take,
        CRSound

        It Really depends
        Since backset is very acidic, you really should not use more then will
        bring your fermentation below around 4.5 pH. As a guideline, I
        recommend around 35% to 40% backset in a fermentation, but would like to hear what other distillers recommend. 9 days is a bit on the long side
      • bigdaddyg851
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 4, 2011
          generally after i invert the brown sugar and molasses it gives me about 2gals . so i add 1.5 gals of backset and 1.5 gals of water. anymore backset would drop the PH to low . i found rums typically take all of 10 days to ferment and a couple more to clear . backset makes all the flavor difference in the world .

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "measelbrad" <bradmeasel@...> wrote:

          > How much backset do you use? i've not tried using backset yet, but i want to try. 9 days seems like a long ferment...is that typical?
          > Thanks,
          > Brad
          >
          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "bigdaddyg851" <bigdaddyg851@> wrote:
          > >
          > > for the money, rum has to be the best , (and easiest), for fermenting a wash to get the most quality produce out of .compared to whiskey and bourbon that use a mashing processes to get a true flavor . (igal molasses (in new england $10.00) 4lbs of brown sugar $4.00 ) $14.00 . 10 days to ferment and 9hrs to distill . i get3 liters of 75% distillate that is out of this world ! this is the sixth wash i run from using backset from previous washes . and each run gets better .

        • bravo
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 4, 2011
            Hey there
            I was going to say guys but I remember someone saying that there might be ladies in that group.
            Reusing the basket question
            Well since ive been doing this for a while I would let let the basket from the previous wash settle for about 2 tpo 3 days
            Then siphon the top clear water looking part and use between 20 to 30 percent of that grey looking bottom basket .
            It turned out to make the new batch ferment for fewer days
            I gues there is good stuff that the new yeast rely likes in there.
            Thast what I ve notice reusing the basket
            Thanks
            Bossy
            Hey waldo on another note I posted something on how to get that coconut flavour out to be in the taste without the oil coming through.
            I did not get your opinion any thoughts
            thanks

            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 5, 2011
              Bravo,

              Could you tell me which message regarding the coconut question your
              referring to. Might have been in the hospital when you sent it.

              Thanks,

              JB. aka Waldo.

              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "bravo" <bravoseychelles@...>