Re: Member Introduction

    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 4, 2011

      Well Welcome Virgil,

      Tis great to have a new member with a background in shining.  Someday you will have to tell us some old stories about your relatives.  One thing though, is that while we encourage moonshining here, we do not allow selling your product and make it for personal use only.  Bootlegging is a bad word in these parts.

      And yes, sharing pictures is encouraged - just have to approve them is all.   Now that milk collector is a good size for a boiler, however it may rust if left wet depending on the amount of nickel in the steel.

      If we talk about the stainless steels. The low nickle steel is ferritic(sp?). It does rust with no trouble. The next grade is martinsitic (sp?) It rusts with difficulty. The next grade is Austinetic (called 18/8). This grade is virtually rust free with additions of nickel and chrome to the majority of iron. All stainless steels can rust in contact with chemicals at specific temperatures.

      However, since it was made for milk, there should be enough nickel in it for a boiler. You should read thru  http://homedistiller.org/ to get up to speed and feel free to ask any questions.

      Welcome aboard, good luck and above all BE SAFE.

      JB. aka Waldo.

      Co-owner

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Virgil" <varminteater2003@...> wrote:

      > Good evening group,
      > I have been trying to get a post to the group for the last couple of
      > Days and have not found to time to sit still long enough to post
      > My introduction to the group.
      > First my name is Virgil hoskins 52 Ohio, Im a high power electrician
      > For a south east town in ohio,, i work for the city.
      > My family was known for running shine in ky when my father and 2 uncles
      > Were younger,, and both my father and uncle told me how they made there
      > shine ,, but I never really got to find out in detail how,, to make it.
      > then a few years ago I was at a farm sell and seen a large old milk
      > collector made of not stainless but high nickle steel,, and fell in
      > Love with the thought of it being my first true still,, so I bought
      > it for $2.50 ,,this is a large 7 1/2 gal pot with a 8 inch lid and
      > a built in 14in pipe out the top, I guess for the old vaccum system.
      > So,, after going through the last few weeks looking at yahoo vidios
      > On stills, alambiques and refluxes,, I find you and this group.
      > And happy to meet you all,, I have had time to follow the e-mail
      > coming through the group the last couple of days and waiting to
      > Learn more as its shared.
      > at this time Im on top of building my first 2in reflux tower,
      > And getting the parts together.
      > Ill be sharing a few shots it as I go along, If thats allowed?

    • virgil hoskins
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 5, 2011
        And a Good morning to you sir ,
        And the group.
        No Sir ,,I do not have many people that even know I have a still,,and It`s more
        Like a family thing as almost all my family drinks,, and would love to have a still running
        In the back ground at the family get togethers,,lol
        and I think about 4 of them would start there own if they could just see how its done.
        as for the main thing that my dad would tell me ,, that they would water bags of
        Corn in the morning and Pee,, on them at night for added flavor,,till the tails would just
        Start to exit then right to a hand grinder then right into the sugar mix, to 50 gallons.
        I would have loved to seen there still.. and let them see mine.
        Im on line most of this morning,, does the group have the new chat yet?
        Just a thought,

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 5, 2011
          Hi Virgil,

          Well sounds like you understand the illegality of  selling and are on the right track.  Now a couple of things.

          First, nobody but nobody calls me SIR around here.  Thats another bad word like bootlegger ;).  While people have called me worse, i prefer to go by JB, Waldo or The Ornery One.

          Secondly, im sure we can teach you other ways of increasing flavors in your corn whiskey without pee.  We do use Miracle Gro Plant food for nutrients, which contains Urea Nitrogen, but that is artificially made and even some distillers do not approve of that...

          Im not sure what new chat your talking about, but that is a great idea.  The chat i just started using with my new lap top is SKYPE,  Since the lap top has a video camera and microphone attached to it, you can do video conferencing  or just do regular text typing for your messages.

          You can download Skype for Windows at:  http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/get-skype/on-your-computer/windows/premium   or for the Mac at:  http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/get-skype/on-your-computer/macosx/

          Think we might start something here if the members are for it.

          Thanks for the idea and let me know what chat your talking about.

          JB. aka Waldo.

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 5, 2011
            Virgil,

            Due to the nature of this hobby and illegality, after thinking about it,
            I dont believe video conferencing would fit in... To many questions and
            too many unknowns.

            However, if we could get some feed back from other members on this
            subject, it would be helpful.

            JB. aka Waldo.

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jamesonbeam1" <jamesonbeam1@...>
            wrote: