for the money

  • bigdaddyg851
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 3, 2011
      for the money, rum has to be the best , (and easiest), for fermenting a wash to get the most quality produce out of .compared to whiskey and bourbon that use a mashing processes to get a true flavor . (igal molasses (in new england $10.00) 4lbs of brown sugar $4.00 ) $14.00 . 10 days to ferment and 9hrs to distill . i get3 liters of 75% distillate that is out of this world ! this is the sixth wash i run from using backset from previous washes . and each run gets better .
    • measelbrad
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 4, 2011
        How much backset do you use? i've not tried using backset yet, but i want to try. 9 days seems like a long ferment...is that typical?
        Thanks,
        Brad

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 4, 2011
          It Really depends Measelbrad,

          Since backset is very acidic, you really should not use more then will
          bring your fermentation below around 4.5 pH. As a guideline, I
          recommend around 35% to 40% backset in a fermentation, but would like to
          hear what other distillers recommend. 9 days is a bit on the long side
          - let us know what your using.

          JB. aka Waldo.

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "measelbrad" <bradmeasel@...>
          wrote:

          > How much backset do you use? i've not tried using backset yet, but i
          want to try. 9 days seems like a long ferment...is that typical?
          > Thanks,
          > Brad
        • crsound

            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 4, 2011
              generally after i invert the brown sugar and molasses it gives me about 2gals . so i add 1.5 gals of backset and 1.5 gals of water. anymore backset would drop the PH to low . i found rums typically take all of 10 days to ferment and a couple more to clear . backset makes all the flavor difference in the world .

              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "measelbrad" <bradmeasel@...> wrote:

              > How much backset do you use? i've not tried using backset yet, but i want to try. 9 days seems like a long ferment...is that typical?
              > Thanks,
              > Brad
              >
              > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "bigdaddyg851" <bigdaddyg851@> wrote:
              > >
              > > for the money, rum has to be the best , (and easiest), for fermenting a wash to get the most quality produce out of .compared to whiskey and bourbon that use a mashing processes to get a true flavor . (igal molasses (in new england $10.00) 4lbs of brown sugar $4.00 ) $14.00 . 10 days to ferment and 9hrs to distill . i get3 liters of 75% distillate that is out of this world ! this is the sixth wash i run from using backset from previous washes . and each run gets better .

            • bravo
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 4, 2011
                Hey there
                I was going to say guys but I remember someone saying that there might be ladies in that group.
                Reusing the basket question
                Well since ive been doing this for a while I would let let the basket from the previous wash settle for about 2 tpo 3 days
                Then siphon the top clear water looking part and use between 20 to 30 percent of that grey looking bottom basket .
                It turned out to make the new batch ferment for fewer days
                I gues there is good stuff that the new yeast rely likes in there.
                Thast what I ve notice reusing the basket
                Thanks
                Bossy
                Hey waldo on another note I posted something on how to get that coconut flavour out to be in the taste without the oil coming through.
                I did not get your opinion any thoughts
                thanks

                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 5, 2011
                  Bravo,

                  Could you tell me which message regarding the coconut question your
                  referring to. Might have been in the hospital when you sent it.

                  Thanks,

                  JB. aka Waldo.

                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "bravo" <bravoseychelles@...>